General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f4I Spark Plug Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original issue was that the bike wasnt starting. I have a little over 14k miles on it so I figured it just required the standard spark plug replacement.

Im not sure what the FPR is...(forgive my ignorance)

I never payed attention to how fast it turned when everything worked because it instantly kicked in. But the bike does seem to be struggling a little, as if its right on the verge of starting.

The guy at Autozone wasnt sure why the CCA number was so high either. So maybe it was a misprint. I took that in consideration and figured that I might need a new battery. But when I saw how bad my old spark plugs looked, I threw the bad battery theory out the window.

So I guess a new battery is the next step right?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the fuel pump prime?
FPR=Fuel Pressure Regulator

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM

If by prime you mean the high pitch sound the bike makes when you turn the key, then yes it does. It does sound a little weak though, as if its not getting enough power from the battery....

It seems like everything is leading to the battery (sigh)

And I have no idea where the FPR is or how to assess it...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM

Im not sure if the FPR is bad, but it is a very common item to go bad on the F4i's. The most common easy test is to pull off the vaccum line and see if there is fuel present in the line. If there is, then the FPR has failed. Im not 100 percent sure here on that bike, but I believe the FPR is located on the fuel rail near one of the ends. It should be a diaphram styled metal cylinder with a vaccum line attached to it.

If the reading was that high on the battery it may mean the battery has an internal short.

I would check the FPR first, if there isn't any gas present in the vaccum line, then I would consider a new battery.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM

Update: Well it seems like its not the battery after all....Just put a new one in there and nothing's changed. I still gotta look at the FPR. Is that an easy fix for replacement if that is the issue?

Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 PM

I don't know about your starting problem, but it's easier to change the plugs in an F4i by removing the side fairings, then unbolting the radiator and letting it hang down by the hoses. You can then get to the plugs from the front using a rachet, spark plug socket, and a 2" extension on top of a 4" extension. As scoobiedoobie mentioned, using a piece of hose to slide over the plug helps to get the loosened plug out and the new one started in the threads. Took me about 45 minutes to change mine that way.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 AM

Update: I AM COMPLETELY LOST NOW!!!

I finally replaced the FPR (after I changed the spark plugs and the battery) and my bike STILL WONT START. It still just does the same thing it did in the beginning, just spinning when I push the ignition but never turning over...

What is going on??!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting any spark?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Im not sure how to check for that, but it should since I just changed them out for new ones

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM

By "them" I mean the spark plugs.

my bad...

Is there a possibility that my engine is flooded? Or the spark plugs are flooded?? Or do I need to change the oil or something???

Last edited by kcinobro; 02-17-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: f4I Spark Plug Help!