General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f4I Spark Plug Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4I Spark Plug Help!

Can anyone tell me how to get to the spark plugs on the F4I? How much of the bike to I need to disassemble?

Im better at this with cars...

Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Most bikes, you can take off your gas tank, remove the airbox and access the plugs that way. You will need an extenstion just the right length in order to reach the plugs, but not be too long so you can still fit the wrench on top.

However, some bikes, like mine, you have to go through the front of the bike removing the radiator and air duct work to access them.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Thanks a lot. I dont think the radiator route is going to work. I lifted the gas tank and removed the air filter. Removing the entire airbox seems like its a lot of fun... Im having trouble removing the bottom half of it. I never did get the bike kit that I keep hearing about, but I do have extensions of my own

Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM

You may need a really long screw driver to get the boots off of the throttle bodies. Once you get those loose, the lower should pop right off.

I forgot to mention, you will more than likley have to use 2 small extensions versus one long one. This way, you put an extension on the socket, drop it into the sparkplug hole, then attach the second extension, then the ratchet. Then just reverse to remove it.

Also, I've never had good luck with sockets that will grab the spark plug, so I have an extendable magnet that I use to get the sparkplug out with.

When you put the new ones in, just lower the plug in slowly, then lower in the socket and extension and the socket should drop over the plug so you can line up the plug with the hole. The taper on the hole is rather large, so the plugs usually go right in.

sorry if any of this info doesn't work for you. I have never owned an F4i so somethings may be slightly different.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Put some paper towels in each intake port. This will prevent you from the risk of dropping harware and/ or dirt down the throat of the engine.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks a lot for your help bro. I finally got the airbox off ( with a lot of swearing involved). Now im about to try to get these plugs out. With a lot of praying (and some more swearing) it should all come together. Ill let you know Thanks again!

Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the overflow hose to "grab" the plugs. And to reinstall them, less likely to crossthread them than using the socket. I actually have a piece of hose in my toolbox just for doing plugs, but the over flow hose was convenient, kept me from running in and out of the house. (my "garage" is in my basement)

Old 01-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup - gas tank, air box, then the hard part... finding the perfect tool. If you have the honda kit it should fit nicely.

Personally I had to use a combination of wobbly socket extensions to get around the frame cross bar.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:11 PM

Good news and bad news:

Good News-Thanks to you guys' help, the spark plugs are officially changed out! The gas tank, air box method worked out nicely!

Bad News- She still wont start...and Im completely lost. The battery is old, but Its been charged. I had it checked at autozone. It read 12.20v and 1358 CCA (whatever that means). When I push the ignition, the bike spins and sputters, etc. But it just wont kick in and turn over.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM

What was your original issue? Have you checked the FPR?

Is the bike turning over as fast as it should? If its turning over slow, it won't start, or will be very hard to start.

Im not sure what the 1358 number is, because that battery should have no where near that many Cold Cranking Amps, it should be around 200 or a little less. If thats a misprint and its only around 130, the battery may not be strong enough to crank it over fast enough to start.

You also need to be very careful here, if the bike is not cranking over fast enough, because you can end up fouling out your new plugs.

Quick Reply: f4I Spark Plug Help!