General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F3 Forks Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F3 Forks Alignment

So I threw some f3 forks, and wheel on my f2, used the f3 axle, and spacers and breaks, but I cant seem to get them lined up right. bike wants to turn right hard. Ive loosened everything, bounced it with the rear wheel in the bench vise, ive tried just pinching the wheel in legs and eye balling it, and cannot get it right. I think I may have the wrong spacers since the front didn't come off a riding f3, it was a parts bike from another guy. The one on the left is 15mm and the right is 22mm which I read on here is correct, but I want to double check. The left rotor is definitely closer to the fork than the right. The left rotor actually rubs on the caliper bracket.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

When you talk about left and right - is this as you sit on the bike or looking directly at the wheel from the front ?

The info below assumes you are SAT on the bike when refering to left and right.

Have a look at the basics first.

1. Are the top of the forks exactly the same distance through the top yoke ?
2. When you have the forks mounted WITHOUT the wheel - does the axle slide straight in ( ie - are the axle holes in line ? )
3. Where did you find out the spacer sizes that should be on the bike ? and is that for an F2 or F3 ?
4. When you put the front wheel in - fasten the axle nut first - then the RIGHT fork axle pinch bolts - then bounce the forks to align them - then fasten the LEFT fork axle pinch bolts.
5. Are you sure the forks have the same amount of oil in them and that it is the same weight oil in each fork ?
6. Is the fork pre-load the same on each side.
7. Are you sure the F2 and F3 for ks use the same brake mounting brackets ?

Last edited by Dean0; 08-06-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Registered Users

Left and right are left side of bike, right side of bike. So as one sits, left is clutch right is brake.

What do you mean "for ks" not that it matters, any f3 uses different calipers, rotors and brackets than the any f2, as the f3 brackets are a part of the caliper sider where as the f2 actually has separate pieces that the calipers bolt to. Not really sure why you asked if I was sure they use the same brackets. Aside from what I just listed, the f3's have bigger rotors so you couldn't just bolt up f2 calipers and brackets to a FE with an F3 wheel anyway.

and the spacer size I read in the f3 section when someone was talking about his front end. Obviously since I mentioned two spacers, its for an F3. The F2 only uses a spacer on the right, brake lever, sitting on the bike facing forward right side, and the left has the speedo drive. Also, as I stated in the original post, I used the spacers from the F3. What I didnt mention is that I used a F3 wheel but that should be obvious because F3 brakes cant go on an f2 wheel.

Last edited by 74demon; 08-06-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: merge posts
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered Users

Why do you think that a fork tube isn't bent? If the forks aren't a match set, the springs inside could be totally different damping behavior due to wear, replacement, fluid level and viscosity, and height.

Spacers shouldn't matter, as long as they keep the wheel/tire from interfering with the fairings and forks.

I would measure the length of the tube, from the axle clamp to the triple tree. I would manually compress both forks separate to feel if one is loose or significantly softer.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered Users

Im almost positive the forks are a matched set. But either way, they are both the correct forks for an f3 and on the correct sides. Different oil/springs/settings wont cause the symptoms Ive described to the extent that i have. And spacers do matter. Thats why they are there, and why they are certain sizes. The spacers keep the front wheel in line with the rear. If its off to one side, itll have trouble turning, and will want to turn on its own to one side. Just as I described my bike does. Also, wheel spacers as you said, can cause the wheel/tire or the ROTOR to interfere with the fairings or forks, or CALIPERS and other items attached to the forks. Just as I described my rotor interferes with my caliper.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Registered Users

For some reason, my replies keep not showing up. Just read what I had said, and re-read your reply. All Im asking for is confirmation that the wheel spacers are spose to be 15 mm clutch side. 22 mm brake lever side.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM

I only asked about the F2 vs F3 parts because I have never had either of them so I don't know.

I am more familiar with the F4.

My questions and suggestions were the ones I would be asking myself if faced with the problems you seem to be having.

Another thought - Are the F2 and F3 forks the same distance apart ? - Honda sometimes change the spacing between the forks.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Registered Users

Found the solution. Even though the spacers are correct, I needed to push the axle in further until I had the specified clearance between the rotor and calip bracket on the bikes left side, and then after tightening the left pinch bolts, I needed to push the right fork into place as well until I had the specified clearance for that rotor as well. Then aligned everything and tightened. This is first time I've come across a bike that didn't have the spacers do all the spacing for you. Learn something new everyday. Oh for future reference, that rotor to caliper bracket clearance is at least .7 mm. If a side is off, simply slacken that sides pinch bolts and manipulate the fork lower accordingly.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Registered Users

Glad it worked for you! 'cuz it sure doesn't make sense to me.

I've changed that wheel a dozen times with a fork stand and everything lined up.