General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust help... no specific previous posts I could find

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust help... no specific previous posts I could find

So one thing I know I want is a new exhaust for my 08 600rr. Only thing is, I want a side mount dealio, which may require custom, nay, will most likely require custom work. I'm thinking short, like, GP-style short, because well I live in texas and there's no carb checks, and noise isn't going to be an issue considering how far away from everything this craphole town is. Does anyone know if there is a aftermarket side mount exhaust for a 600rr out there? Oh and the reason I would like side mount is to help keep CG lower, that's the only thing that doesn't quite sit well with me on the new ride.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Default RE: exhaust help... no specific previous posts I could find

so um.. no one? I changed my mind, undertail is fine, but I still want pretty much a straight pipe.. I'm debating going to the scrap yard and buying some old donor pipe, throwing a cheapo tip on it, and calling it good. Any insight would be much appreciated

Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM

try the new fmf gp series loud though

Old 09-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2Bros carbon fiber is da bomb ... much lighter than stock and the low idle rumble is only surpassed by the scream at high revs.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:02 AM

just to help ease your mind of your exhaust location. Lower to the ground doesnt equal betterbike handle. centerred mass helps, but just being lower doesnt. From the center of mass of the bike, any outward mass from there affects the handling. Being it lower than the centered mass or higher than it. The entire bike is a mass and the more that is centered, the better or quicker it will handle. Your gas tank, which is a big weight, is up high, but somewhat inline with the center of mass. You, the rider, is a huge part of mass, but you are orientated high up and over the tank. If lower mass helped, they would sink the seat height of these bikes down to cruiser seat level. But they dont, these bikes sit high for a reason. Ever ride a cruiser with a low center of gravity? they dont handle worth a poop.

If you run a line from the centered mass of the bike front to rear, measure the distance to your current exhaust and the distance to the newer gp exhaust, the difference is negligable.

I believe it was honda, maybe suzukythat did some R&D studies in the late 70's. they put the gas tank, and pretty much everything they could down low towards the belly pan. They were trying to make a bike handle quicker. What they ended up with was a bike they could hardly turn. the mass was too low and too far away from the centered mass of the bike and it was preventing the bike from leaning. thats about the time they started mass centralization.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:43 PM

well sweet thanks squid, that makes a lot of sense once you think about it. Oh, and I checked out the FMF gp series, looks like they don't make any I could find for my ride Oh and as far as a slip on goes, I was checking out my exhaust while I did my custom fender delete (read:ghetto rig) yesterday and it doesn't look like there's anywhere north of the cat that I can unbolt the exhaust from... that's crazy. Does this mean that if I were to buy a slip on or a new can, I'd have to cut the existing pipes and weld the new can into place? I thought the point of a slip on was to not have to do that lol

Old 09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Unless they changed it there should be a clamp by the rear brake pedal.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I checked and ya, the clamp is under the heat shield by the rear brake lever. Please don't go straight pipe on us and then post because you got no low end grunt. Get the 2Bros ... I guarantee you will like it.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 AM

On further inspection... found it! It's just waaay up there... I'm used to working on my car, which is really obvious on where a catback exhaust goes haha. Yeah the only thing I'm worried about is low end power... I'll def be looking into different exhausts though.. 2bros does seem popular, I remember I rushed into working on my car and ended up unhappy with some things, so I don't wanna do that with te bike.. I did do a homebrew fender delete that turned out quite nice though lol.