General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol blend petrol

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ethanol blend petrol

My state government in their wisdom, have decided to make all petrol an ethanol blend with the minimum blend 10% (E10). Just wondering if anyone else out there runs their bike on this stuff & wot if any mods have to be done so that it runs properly.
I know their has been a lot of talk about this stuff, but it looks like in the future I won't have a choice anyway.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Default RE: Ethanol blend petrol

Here in Colorado, our lowest octane rating is 85 for regular petrol(which is what I run) due to the altitude, and I think they cut all the gasoline here with ethanol too. My bike runs fine with no mods. I tried 91 octane once, but I could smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust so I switched back to 85.
E10 is cheaper than regular gas and it's supposed to run cleaner ~ whyis ityou don'tlike it?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:53 AM

Not that I don't like it, just don't use it, have a choice at the moment. Also a big no, no, according to my (1998) handbook. But my bike is a 98 F3, so carbie model, have heard that its not really a worry with fuel injection.
Have also heard (so far not proven either way) that ethanol can cause problems with different components, like rubber seals & so on, gum up carbies & so on.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Oh yeah, Iunderstand what you're saying now(about carburated engines). Wow, so they're switching all gasoline to E10 ~ that's crazy. [:'(]

Found this on Wikipedia:
Prior to the development of electronic fuel injection (EFI) and computerized engine management, the lower energy content of ethanol required that the engine carburetorbe rejetted to permit a larger volume of fuel to mix with the intake air. EFI is able to actively compensate for varying fuel energy densities by monitoring the oxygen contentof exhaust gases. However, a standard EFI gasoline engine can typically only tolerate up to 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10% ethanol in your fuel won't require rejetting.We run it here, no problem.
Rejetting is if you go for a higher percentage mix, but 10% will just result in a slight power drop, and increased fuel consumption. I dunno why Govts play silly buggers with our gas - I don't think there's much of a saving long term....but what do I know ?

Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 AM

I decided to get in touch with Honda about the Ethanol concern, here is the reply.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your enquiry.

We wish to advise that E10 fuel is suitable on most models produced after 1990.

However, please note the following points:

1. Ethanol Fuel can damage paintwork - Please take care not to spill when refuelling, and promptly wipe off any spill.

2. Rubber Fuel System Parts may become degraded more quickly.

3. Depending on weather, and the condition of the motorcycle, driveability may be adversely affected.

In all cases use of higher ethanol grade fuels may cause running and/or performance issues. If an engine failure occurs and a higher ethanol grade fuel has been used then repairs will not be covered by the Honda limited warranty.

We trust this clarifies

Kind regards

Chris Leask
Customer Relations Manager
Honda Australia MPE Pty Ltd

Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 AM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the .... does that mean???

3. Depending on weather, and the condition of the motorcycle, driveability may be adversely affected.

Quick Reply: Ethanol blend petrol