General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enough to just piss you off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enough to just **** you off!

So I bought a new tire not long ago. I have mabey 500 miles on it. I go to work today and when I get home I notice that I have a screw nicely placed into my tire![:'(] I have heard that your not supposed to plug motorcycle tires, but they make a special tool so you can do it. I would really like to avoid replacing the tire. So the question is plug it or replace it? Any advice would be appriciated.

Thank you,
-Loomis

Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Default RE: Enough to just **** you off!

that sux dude, i wouldnt trust a plug on a bike, but thats just me

Old 03-26-2006, 11:44 PM

i know it may not be what you want to hear, but no plugs bro.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks!! I just had a nice big nail in my rear tire a couple weeks ago, but luckily the tire needed to be replaced anyways so it wasn't a big deal. For a new tire though you may be able to get it patched (not plugged!!) from the inside... I've heard of people doing that before without any problems. Definitely don't just plug it though... I know I don't trust plugs

Old 03-26-2006, 11:53 PM

That does SUCK.
If I was just doing light driving around the city at lower speeds I personally would think about patching it, but if I was going to be on the highway a lot, I would just get a new tire!
My neighbor 3 houses down, buys tires with nail holes in them for next to nothing and that's all he uses????? He rides a GSXR 750 and he's been doing this for a long time and has yet to have any problems.
Your choice, your life.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:35 AM

Just bite the bullet and replace it. I had almost the same thing happen to me on my R6.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:36 AM

yep replace it, dont trust the plug.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:36 AM

**** that put a tube in it.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the rear tire or front? This isn't advice, just sharing my experience -take it for what it's worth. I got a screw in a brand new rear tire, with probably not more than 100 miles on it. I had it plugged, and since then I've gone about 1,000 miles with no problems. The hole is in one of the grooves, so it doesn't even make contact with the road. It doesn't leak, and I figure by now the tire has gotten warm enough that the plug should have vulcanized to the surrounding rubber as much as it's going to. Since it's held up OK so far, I think it shouldn't be a problem. If the plug does fail, it will be a slow leak, not a catastrophic blow-out. I think I'd be more cautious if it were the front.

The front tire will be up for replacement before too long, and I'll swap them both out then.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:41 PM

I have a plug in my back tire. Been there since about 30 miles from when I bought it, Ran over a piece of glass. That was months ago though and I still have the tire.

I also do alot of wheelies and hard corners. Not draggin the knees yet but im pretty damn close to the pavement when I stick my knee out, and the tire still works perfect.

Id just plug it
Just my opinion

Daniel Thompson

Quick Reply: Enough to just piss you off!