General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't fire

I've got a cbr600 f3 (I think). Bought it a year ago, all good, ride it for a few months then left it parked up. While it was parked I did some maintenance. I put a new fuel pump in (old one was not meant for the bike and leaked), set the valve clearances (exhaust was loose, put smaller shims in), did oil/filter change,t my triple clamp off to paint it and put a new battery in as the old one was completely dead (1.7v)
anyway, went to start it up for the first time today, took about 10seconds and it fired into life, purring away but didn't really want to idle. I turned it off to re-check/set the oil level. Started back up but lumpy running, then noticed I had to hold the throttle more and more open just to maintain some sort of revs (revving just over idle with the throttle nearly all the way open) then it died and hasn't started since.
All plugs were fouled after some time of turning it over. I put a new set in, still won't fire.
I bypassed the fuel pump and plumbed the tank straight to the carby, still no good.
im obviously getting fuel as the plugs keep getting fouled.
I have spark (tested in the coil with the plug touching earth). It very thin, a little blue and a lot orange.

Leading me to think it's a weak spark issue. Why though? R/r? Stator?
Anyone have a how to on how to test these?

What made it die, why was it suddenly running then not running.

Thanks in advance for your help

Old 01-14-2020, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can measure the voltage at the coils to see if you are getting. I think if you are getting spark then it'd be rare for the coils to be an issue.
Did you remove/clean carbs? Could it be the vaccum lines ?
I had exact same symptoms and turned out disconnected vaccum lines.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your exhaust valves were loose, you need to fit bigger shims and not smaller shims!