General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE WARM UP, HOW LONG ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ENGINE WARM UP, HOW LONG ???

Ok here's a burnin qeustion, how long do you warm up the bike and how much choke do you guy's use...?? It still get's in the 40 's here at night, so when I go to warm up the bike in the morning for my ride to work I start at full choke for about 30second's then back it off to run it for any where from 10 to 15 minute's on may be 1/2 or 1/4 choke just so it run's at about 2000 rpm's or hair under. It doesn't like to run very good when it's not good and warm . even on warm day's at the end of work i'll still warm it up for a couple of minute's, after sittin all day

Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ENGINE WARM UP, HOW LONG ???

me too, i always let it warm up, even when its 100 degrees outside and been in the sun all day. i normally just smoke a cig while i wait, so about 5 minutes. unless its cold outside i will let it sit for up to 15 minutes.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:41 PM

How long have you owned your 600? Has it started and ran like that since you’ve owned it or has it gotten worse over time. It seems to me that your bike is need of a thorough tune up. To the best of my knowledge it should not take 15 minutes for the bike to warm up to the point it runs good with the choke all the way off. I now own FI bikes but when I had my CB400F years back I only had to use the choke when it was cold out and then only for a couple of minutes until the engine warmed up.

Do you still have the owners manual? It might address cold weather starting. If you can verify what you are experiencing is not normal you might consider calling a Honda service department at your local dealer. Tell them is going on with the hope they will tell you in detail what they can do for you to fix the problem. After hearing what they have to say you can assess if you can do the work yourself or take it to them. I also recommend buying the service manual or downloading it to see if the trouble shooting section covers your problem.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:52 PM

I missed rrasco's post posting just before mine but since his bike does the same thing maybe it is normal.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM

I am 4th owner, the bike currently has 60.000 ish miles, did plug's and air filter plus flushed and filled the radiator. it run's good, alway's start's, just seem's to perfer be'in good and warm before riding.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 PM

on a warm day it will run without being warmed up(i just normally let it warm up a little anyway), but if its cold outside it wont run right unless it is warmed up for atleast 5-10 minutes. really depends, sometimes it warms up quicker and sometimes not. it is also in the shop having carbs cleaned and the charging system fixed, so some of the problems might have been credited to that. I will let you know after i get it back to see if the same conditions still exist.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:20 AM

YIKES !!!!!!! 10 - 15 mins., of cyl. wash... no thanks !!!!!!!! Clean and sync those carbs!!!!!!!! clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 05-20-2006, 11:19 AM

The Digital Temp Gauge on mine is really a god send, you can tell exactly when your bikes upto temp, i usually wait until its at 75 degrees C which is about 3-mins on mine. It usually runs at around 80-90 C when riding.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:20 AM

i warm it until I hit about 120 degrees.

x

Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 AM

Only use the choke to keep the bike running. I start wide open, then for the first minute or two back it down. Only use as much as you need to keep it idleing. My F2 would over heat if the choke was used to long. Just let it run till when you blip the throttle quickly it doesn't lag off of idle.

Quick Reply: ENGINE WARM UP, HOW LONG ???