General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine trouble "HELP"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine trouble "HELP"

Alright, I have a "98" 900rr. I high sided the bike about 8 months ago, luckly not that bad of a wreak. Anyway, I drained tank, changed plugs, cleaned jets, and the bike ran fine then started to shutter around 5500 6100 RPMs, but I could throttle out of it. So, I tore it back apart and found CR9E plugs (wrong plugs) my mistake. I replaced plugs with CR9E-h something anyway they were the right plugs. The bike ran GREAT thought I found problem. The next day I took it out during mid-day (Florida heat). the bike started to shutter again like it was running out of feul. I was with some freinds that I stunt with, and the suggested it (running lean). So, I pulled plugs they looked a little on to ash colored side so I adjusted air feul 1/2 turn out, and eventually adjusted throttle needle clip (one down) to make it run fatter. I took the bike out ran Great (it was a little chilly outside) until it seemed to warm up then started to shutter AGAIN. Im running out of ideas, Oh Ya also replacedPLUG WIRESand COIL PACKS.

Thing done-----COIL PACKS, PLUG WIRES, CLEANED JETS, ADJ. NEEDLE, DRAINED TANK, NEW PLUGS, ADJ. AIR/FUEL

------1998 900RR Two Brothers headers and pipe, jet kit

------The bike ran great last year berfore wreak, Im determinedHEAT has something to do with the shutter, my only ideas are that its vapor lock or thermostat is sending bad info thats messing up timing or ELECTRICAL somthing. One of the hoses off the bottom of tank doesnt make look right it goes to a black piece of plastic about 1/2 inch long and it has two hose, one going in leftside frame and the other going nowhere?????

-----temp gauge works

Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine trouble "HELP"

can you tell whether your tstat is kicking on?

Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine trouble "HELP"

If tstat is themostat i have a reading on my digital gauge gauge and my fan kicks on around 216 like it should, but when i wrecked it 8 months ago I broke the frame slider off (right side next to therstat). and had a shopweld it back to the frame, and he had toretap the bolt... If im not understading tstat explain please..............Also the bike shutters (running out of fuel feeling) at low rpms, high rpms also if is hot outside.......(what do you mean (KICK ON)???
----