Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Engine Trouble

So i recently bought a 2005 1000rr (26K) in a private deal whom my seller had recived this from a dealership at 25k. This afternoon i took my bike to a mechanic to have a new rear tire put on it. After all was said and done i am looking at another 500 dollars in work, i.e. chain, sprokets, front tire, and brake pads. The mechanic also told me that i shouldnt ride it till i fixd it. All i wanted was a damn rear tire lol. well anyways getting to my point, at the end of our conversation and my wallet milked of its last pennies, he said there was also a humming noise comming from the bottom rear of the engine. He said it is usual in cbr's that have been excesively wheelied and im looking at 500 dollars minimum to take the engine apart, whetehr they find something wrong or not. Also i have only had the tire and brake pads changed as i am not an idiot and know the chan and sprokets are fine. Am i just being scammed from this place or does this humming noise really occur on the cbr's/ hondas? Thakyou for your help

Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 PM

i would get a second opinion have them do a compression check and leak down also change the oil and check the old oil for metal particals..... i just had to redo my 06 and it had 22,000 miles on the clock but my problems were because of the local area being dusty and the filter not being properly kept up

Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 AM

Grab your wallet and never go to that mechanic again.

Was this at a dealership?

In any event, in a bike that has been excessively wheelied, the upper engine starves for oil, not the bottom. If anything, the upper engine would be making noise. And, your looking at wheelie's that are miles long before that happens, if ever. I seriously doubt this guy knows what he is talking about. But, just to be sure, I would take tupperwareracing's advice and get a second opinion from an authorized dealer.

did you happen to look at your old pads compared to the new ones? I'm curious as to if your old ones were really bad or not.

just so you know, the CBR 1000RR's of our year, 04-07 have a fairly noise engine. Mines an 05 as well. I've never personally heard any humming though. But they are definately noisier than other bikes.

just an FYI. If you happen to hear a slight whine while your in 6th gear, dont be alarmed, its normal and they all do it.

Also, I would never let someone split my engine case just to check to see if anything is wrong.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Default Thnaks

Hey thanks for the input. have to work today and sunday but monday will take it to the the honda dealership and another mechanis and get their opionions. I wish i had asked for the old brake pads, as riding it now seems to me they never even changed them. But i will post when i get any new info. Also am changing the oil tomorow and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again