General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Flooding

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Flooding

hey guys my bike died on me randomly the other night and then wouldnt start. so i changed the plugs she ran fine and then she died again. now i have figured out that shes dieng because the engine is floding.

if i shut the gas off and give it full trhottle and crank it for 5-10 seconds shell start up and idle fine, but as soon as i turn the gas valve on she dies within 10 seconds. also while the gas is off if i rev the engine she sounds funny and shell backfire around 5k... so i think i might have fouled my new plugs

do i need to check my float height? and if its off then what am i supposed to do

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-26-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM

hey so has anyone ever had this problem? i pretty much just hope that one of the plungers fell out of place or something. i pulled my sparkplugs again and cylinder 1 was wet 2, 3, and 4 were not.

oh and get this something was so wrong because one of the air hoses(the one highlighted on the left) actually had gas and pouring out of it when i disconnected it and some huge chunk of gunk where it connects in the middle, and when i blow through the hose circled on the right gas will squirt through the jets (where i circled them) towards me should i countinue to blow all of the gas out because i feel like there should not be gas in there.

so somehow there is SOOO much gas getting into the carbs it is ridiculous. i cant figure out why this would all of a sudden just happen while i was riding because immediately before it happened she was riding like a dream.

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-27-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 PM

that sucks your still having issues. I wish I new more about that bike and what all of the hoses actually did.

All I can offer is some suggestions. It seems like the number 1 carb is at fault, since the number 1 plug is wet while the others aren't. It could be a float issue, but I would lean towards there being some crud stuck between the needle and seat on the inlet of the carb. At this point, all you can really do is pull the rack, take off the float bowls and see if anything jumps out at you as being wrong. Make sure the needle is attached to the float correctly and that it didnt slip off.

Once your bowls are off, you can hold the rack in the upright position and compare how low the floats are hanging down. If you have one that is significantly lower than the others, its just simply bending the tab that the floats are attached to until you get the desired drop.

As for why there is gas in that line. Im not sure. I don't even know what the line is. It appears to be some sort of vaccum line, so that may explain why the gas is dumping in there.

Hopefully somone here can shed some light on what that hose is, it may help diagnosis the issue.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
that sucks your still having issues. I wish I new more about that bike and what all of the hoses actually did.

All I can offer is some suggestions. It seems like the number 1 carb is at fault, since the number 1 plug is wet while the others aren't. It could be a float issue, but I would lean towards there being some crud stuck between the needle and seat on the inlet of the carb. At this point, all you can really do is pull the rack, take off the float bowls and see if anything jumps out at you as being wrong. Make sure the needle is attached to the float correctly and that it didnt slip off.

Once your bowls are off, you can hold the rack in the upright position and compare how low the floats are hanging down. If you have one that is significantly lower than the others, its just simply bending the tab that the floats are attached to until you get the desired drop.

As for why there is gas in that line. Im not sure. I don't even know what the line is. It appears to be some sort of vaccum line, so that may explain why the gas is dumping in there.

Hopefully somone here can shed some light on what that hose is, it may help diagnosis the issue.
squid that hose is for airflow above 12 mph according to my haynes manual. i dont know how it got gas in it

also i just finished checking my float heights and they are all the same. i cant see one that outstandingly lower or higher than the other ones and shot compressed air through the inlets and fuel lines just to clear out any debris or something

i guess now i gotta just put them back together and see if it runs fine..... but that still wouldnt explain what caused the problem in the first place because my floats and the inlets were perfectly fine when i opened the bowls up.

maybe it was just the fact that there was gas in that airflow hose and however that happened is beyond me....

EDIT: ive put the carbs back on the bike now and cleaned out all the air hoses and and everything, tried to start the bike and now it wont start at all... i cant tell if the engine is flooding still or what the hell is happening im starting to get very frustrated tho. im pushing it off for tonight and charging the battery because i have been trying to start the bike for acouple days over a nd over without acvtually riding it so hopefully a little extra juice will start her right up

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.