General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EMERGENCY BRAKE BLEEDING PROB

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY BRAKE BLEEDING PROB

HELP!!! Ok so I hooked up my brake bleeding kit from advance auto leaving out the stupid bottle and just draining the hose into an icecream bucket. a bunch of bubbles came first in the lines and the master cylinder got pretty darn empty. i put some more fluid in it and started pumping the brake lever and all i hear is a noise like air and the fluid isnt draining. what did i do wrong? the hoses are both empty on my bleeding kit. =(

please help! =(

MIke

Old 04-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: EMERGENCY BRAKE BLEEDING PROB

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82
a bunch of bubbles came first in the lines and the master cylinder got pretty darn empty. i put some more fluid in it and started pumping the brake lever and all i hear is a noise like air and the fluid isnt draining. what did i do wrong?

When you change fluid, you DON'T need to get ALL the old fluid out first. As you're opening the bleeder valve to let the old fluid out, replace it with new fluid in the resevoir. In this way, you avoid getting air pockets in hard to reach places (e.g. master cylinder). But now that you have, you should:
• open bleeder valve slightly.
• squeeze the brake lever and hold it down (air should escape from the banjo bolt). Do not let go of the brake lever or you'll put air back into the system.
• tighten the banjo bolt
• repeat these steps as needed until all air is bled
• continue to bleed the lines as you're used to.

but I'm not an expert so wait until a few others chime in.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 PM

I think the MC is clogged or something because the little window on it shows its empty. How could it get clogged? The rubber bowl thing that is inside the MC kind of colapses on itself when I take the plastic cap off. Maybe I should use a rag to soak up all the brake fluid in it take that rubber thing out and see if something is clogged in it? AHHH I'm so confused. I've probably just created a $500 problem for myself lol

Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

God bless you Kewl Breeze. I'll go give that a shot. I'm not used to bleeding brakes I'm a virgin. lol

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM

FOR SALE: 2006 HONDA CBR600 F4i NO BRAKES!!! Must sell PM me for price

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

If you still have problems post back up here, i will be around, and if need be i can call ya and walk ya thru it.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:58 PM

i'm not possitive but the ruber boot thing is supposed to be on top of the fluid not the bottom. when you drained out the mc it must of collapsed and sealed the bottom so the fluid won't drain when you fillit because the fluid is now on top of the rubber boot insted of being on the bottom. again i'm not possitive but that's my guess. good luck..

Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

a bunch of bubbles came first in the lines and the master cylinder got pretty darn empty. i put some more fluid in it and started pumping the brake lever and all i hear is a noise like air and the fluid isnt draining. what did i do wrong?

When you change fluid, you DON'T need to get ALL the old fluid out first. As you're opening the bleeder valve to let the old fluid out, replace it with new fluid in the resevoir. In this way, you avoid getting air pockets in hard to reach places (e.g. master cylinder). But now that you have, you should:
• open bleeder valve slightly.
• squeeze the brake lever and hold it down (air should escape from the banjo bolt). Do not let go of the brake lever or you'll put air back into the system.
• tighten the banjo bolt
• repeat these steps as needed until all air is bled

The banjo bolt? You mean the bleeder screw right? NOT the bolt that attaches the brake line to the MC I'm just supposed to leave that thing alone right? Man this really blows. All the tutorials say this is really easy but I screwed it up real good.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Relax. pm me your phone #. it will make it easier then typing it all out for ya.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the MC is clogged or something because the little window on it shows its empty. How could it get clogged?
Sorry, I was on another post ..It's not clogged but it did lose the vacuum suction when you drained it out completely instead of a little at a time while refiling .. sounds like TK is gonna help you get it completed but if you need further help let me know and I'll direct you to a thread that has step by step instructions with pics.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY BRAKE BLEEDING PROB