General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EK screw style master link

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK screw style master link

Anyone use this, or EK chains for that matter? I have never used them, always used D.I.D, but the screw style masterlink really has me intrigued.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw style masterlink.never heard of it.Dump it and use a pressed on one instead.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by letsride
Screw style masterlink.never heard of it.Dump it and use a pressed on one instead.
+1

Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of it but never used it. Can vouch for the EK chain. Got a chrome X-ring with over 10k on it. Only had to adjust rear wheel once, but that was cause the axle nut wasn't torqued properly and after a few rides the rear end seemed squirly. The adjusters backed all the way in, and the chain was pretty loose, glad I didn't find out the hard way at 80mph. Oh and I got a clip on master link that most will frown upon.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
I've heard of it but never used it. Can vouch for the EK chain. Got a chrome X-ring with over 10k on it. Only had to adjust rear wheel once, but that was cause the axle nut wasn't torqued properly and after a few rides the rear end seemed squirly. The adjusters backed all the way in, and the chain was pretty loose, glad I didn't find out the hard way at 80mph. Oh and I got a clip on master link that most will frown upon.
when that clip breaks you'll see why we frown on it lol.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 PM

ive been there and done that on the clip.rather scary experience.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

oldschoolsdime92,

But yourself a good chain breaker AND joiner they are not an expensive tool, and get the best chain you can afford, the riveted master link is the best and very easy to do.

I replaced my chain not long ago, old chain off, new one on with a link taken out in 20 minutes.

Aussie Johnno

Old 02-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie Johnno
oldschoolsdime92,

But yourself a good chain breaker AND joiner they are not an expensive tool, and get the best chain you can afford, the riveted master link is the best and very easy to do.

I replaced my chain not long ago, old chain off, new one on with a link taken out in 20 minutes.

Aussie Johnno
lol took me at least 20 minutes trying to press the master link. Kept slipping outta alignment

But yeah the Motion Pro chain tool was a solid $70 investment. That's only $20 more than the labor at the stealership. I paid $220 for the tool, chain and new sprockets total.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im all for saving money and need to replace my chain soon. 70 smackers for a chain breaker?!?!? Best come with a lil somin somin for that price. Im going to pick up this for under 20. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66488.

As long as the chain int bigger than 530 youd be okay.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Im all for saving money and need to replace my chain soon. 70 smackers for a chain breaker?!?!? Best come with a lil somin somin for that price. Im going to pick up this for under 20. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66488.

As long as the chain int bigger than 530 youd be okay.
cutting the chain is the easy part n can be done many many diff ways, I use a grinder to cut it off. A tool to press the rivet is 'almost' a must tho.

Quick Reply: EK screw style master link