General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno for the 600RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno for the 600RR

I read his quote/signature to be "you meet the nicest people on a honda". I wonder if Clem would say the same thing right now?

I can see his point of view on changing the gearing would show more torque. Cause when you hit the throttle at take off... you do fell more torque at take off. But that's it. You have more torque faster... not more torque at the end of the throttle. I didn't think of it that way until chain pointed it out to me/us. I would have been naive and thought the same way as clemson725... put it back to stock gearing to get a true baseline. But after chain broke down the abc's of dynos for me/us.... I now see the light. I too am ignorant in the methodology of dynos. I don't really care about the show and tell aspect of it. I just want to see if the money we all spend on exhaust really show numbers. So... if I can blow $60 for a baseline... and $60 later this spring after mods, then someone here may benefit from it.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

I'm with chainstretcher. Let's not confuse the dynojet with the 'seat of the pants' dyno. Gearing changes the 'manifestation' but not the underlying 'facts'. The engineers that design dynos are very clever and would not let something like this 'fool' their machine from zero to redline.

The real questions are how close is the downloadable PCIII maps to the manually dynotuned map? What are the variences of two stock bikes? Am I better off going on a diet and lose 25 pounds or will a slip-on make up the differences?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Retired Administrator

Here's the long story... I cut/pasted this from the FAQ's on Power Commanders web site. If you want the short point.... look for red.

Every map that we design is developed on a bike using the exact parts that are stated in the notes of that map.
The bike is put through various tests and the fuel curve is optimized for that combination of parts. Maps are not
based on guesswork, computer simulation, or magic. There are based solely on power output and an exact
air/fuel ratio.

Is this all to say that if we do not have an exact map for your bike that the Power Commander will not work for
you? No. We are very specific about what parts are used in the development of our maps, but that does not mean
that the map will only work with those exact parts. Mufflers, air filter kits (Harley models), and full exhaust systems
of similar construction can be substituted for the ones in the map notes. While substituting parts may not yield
100% optimization, performance will still be noticeably improved.

Well then, when is a custom map required? Custom maps can help achieve closer to 100% optimization on any
bike, but is that really necessary ? Generally no. A bike may be 60-70% optimized in standard form. With the
Power Commander and an available map from our database the bike may be 90-95% optimized. This constitutes
a huge gain in performance. Is it crucial to have the last 5-10% of optimization?
It depends on what your goal is. If
every last bit of power is necessary then it can be. If what you want is a bike that runs considerably better than
standard without any additional adjustment then it is not. The point at which a custom map is really a necessity is
when the engine and or exhaust are heavily modified. When a bike has special cams, ported heads, and or a “one
off” exhaust system a custom map is the only way to fuel curve match the engine requirements.
If you need a map for a setup that we do not have a specific map for then there are a few steps that you need to
take to determine the correct one. These things should be checked in the following order.

Slip-On Exhausts
Slip-on mufflers have three main points that need to be considered. Try to match the version you have with one
that is available based on the following;
1) Length of the muffler
2) Diameter of the baffle
3) Whether or not the muffler has a baffle

Complete Exhaust Systems.
Much like the slip-on mufflers, there are a wide variety of systems to choose from. They can be classified into a
few basic categories.

Sportbike
4 :1 Systems.
All of the “race only” full exhaust share similar characteristics. Choose any map from the “full system” list if
yours in not listed. If there is a particular area in the power curve you think needs attention you can edit
the map file (discussed later) or try a different map. No damage can come from trying maps and it only
takes a few seconds to load a new one. This does not include systems that have “street or “quiet” core
mufflers. These types will generally require a map that is close to the settings for a stock exhaust due to
the increased restriction caused by this type of core.
2 : 2 (Twins).
The same rules apply here as the 4 :1 systems
Half Systems.
These are similar to slip-on or bolt-on mufflers. The same maps for slip-ons will work with the half systems.
Air Filters
When a new bike is released, aftermarket air filters are not always available. We therefore test with the stock air
filter only. These maps will have notes stating, “stock air filter”. If after we test the aftermarket filter (K&N, etc.) we
find that it does not affect the fuel curve, the notes will state “Stock or K&N air filter”.
This means that all of the previous maps that had been tested with a stock filter can be used with an aftermarket
one as well.

Map Requests
We receive hundreds of map requests

Old 12-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Anubis

Hey chain isn`t yours the quote that says `arguing on an internet forum is like shopping naked, your ***** are on show to the world`

Or something,
Think it was sumpin like: arguing on an internet forum is like climbing a ladder naked -- everyone can see you're nuts Give that man a golden cigar [8D]

Don -- nice cut/paste job ... I'm personally waiting for the movie Now with the personalized maps, if you get an idiot dyno operator he may get you decent peak #'s but real life performance might suffer. I had a generic map for my Busa but got a custom one when I turbo'd it. Didn't have one problem outta either one.