General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draining coolant

Hey guys,

First off, let me say I'm glad to be part of the forum. I have been lurking for a few months and registered a few days ago. There is a TON of great info on this site, and it has already helped me with some small issues I have had. I searched this question, but didn't get a specific answer so I wanted to make sure.

Anyway, earlier this week I purchased a 2002 CBR 600 f4i with 11468 miles on it. So far, I am thrilled with the bike. Can't go wrong with a Honda. I'll post some pictures up later.

I decided it would be a good idea to replace all of the fluids since it was a used bike and I wanted piece of mind. I got the oil and oil filter changed without a problem, but I ran into some issues with the antifreeze.

I read online that as long as it specifically said 'safe for aluminum engines,' on the bottle, I could use any antifreeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water. So I found some Prestone Dexcool stuff at Walmart that came premixed and got it. I pulled the big radiator hose at the engine and drained the coolant. A bit came out of the radiator, and a lot came out of the fuel pump side. I probably got 2.5-3 qts total. (I spilled some of it, so I don't know the exact number.)

The stuff that came out of the engine was green, and the stuff I have in the new jug is orange. I have heard horror stories about mixing the coolants. So here is my question, did I drain enough of the coolant as it is, or do I need to start flushing this thing with distilled water to be sure? I do not want to destroy this engine, haha.

I appreciate it guys. Sorry for the long read.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Take the dexcool back. That stuff can become like clay and plug everything up. Flush the system with water to get as much green out as you can. Did you find the drain bolts? Then fill it with yengine ice.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Oops, *engine ice

Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Honda recommends silicate free anti-freeze for protection of both the aluminum parts of the engine and the various seals in the system.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Oops! Shouldn't have got that orange crap. Thank you guys for the help, you probably just saved me a pretty penny.

As soon as I got home I pulled the radiator hose and water pump drain plug and drained all of it and put it back into the original container. It looks like I got all but several ounces of it, and I saw no green in the orange mix.

I filled the radiator and over fill bottle with distilled water. I will start it and let the thermostat open and circulate that for awhile then I will drain it and add engine ice. Sound good?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's close to the same as the F3, you can pull a hose off the left side at the bottom,
below the stator cover. That's the lowest point on the bike, especially if it's on the side-stand.
That should get you a complete drain. Except for what's in the over-flow
tank. You have to drain that seperately.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM

I drained everything and replaced it with water, then let it idle and heat up. It would get up to 225 then the fan would kick on and it would drop. Does that sound normal to everyone?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum flyboy1294. Glad you found us & joined up.

Congrats on getting your F4i. Glad you are enjoying it.

You very smartly made the decision on changing all your fluids, it being a new-to-you bike. Also, be sure to check all hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, brake pads, etc. Keep in mind that although your bike has relatively low miles, its still 10+ years old. That means those hoses, etc, are at least that old. In fact, at this point, it would really be a good idea to inspect/replace your hoses/lines if there's any sign of fatigue, cracking, etc.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I will... ;-) The factory Honda service manual for the F4/F4i outlines the procedure for changing coolant, etc. There are links here on the forum to download the online version (pdf) of the manual. It will really benefit you to give it good thorough read to b/c familiar w/ settings, procedures, troubleshooting, etc.

As for flushing your coolant system, its best to flush w/ distilled water, as stated in the service manual. If its possible for you to purchase, use the Pro Honda HP Coolant - its a 50/50 ready to use blend.

Good to have you aboard. Feel free to always ask for help as needed. Our forum has a good helpful member base here & will help you get thru your maintenance & mechanical needs.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Welcome to the forum flyboy1294. Glad you found us & joined up.

Congrats on getting your F4i. Glad you are enjoying it.

You very smartly made the decision on changing all your fluids, it being a new-to-you bike. Also, be sure to check all hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, brake pads, etc. Keep in mind that although your bike has relatively low miles, its still 10+ years old. That means those hoses, etc, are at least that old. In fact, at this point, it would really be a good idea to inspect/replace your hoses/lines if there's any sign of fatigue, cracking, etc.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I will... ;-) The factory Honda service manual for the F4/F4i outlines the procedure for changing coolant, etc. There are links here on the forum to download the online version (pdf) of the manual. It will really benefit you to give it good thorough read to b/c familiar w/ settings, procedures, troubleshooting, etc.

As for flushing your coolant system, its best to flush w/ distilled water, as stated in the service manual. If its possible for you to purchase, use the Pro Honda HP Coolant - its a 50/50 ready to use blend.

Good to have you aboard. Feel free to always ask for help as needed. Our forum has a good helpful member base here & will help you get thru your maintenance & mechanical needs.
Thank you very much sir. I have already checked the lines for dry rot and cracking, and I don't see anything that raises any concern. I will be sure to keep an eye out as I am cleaning though.

I just found a service manual and downloaded it. It sure would have been easier to have this a few days ago, haha.

Well like I said I have everything flushed out with distilled water. I have a lot more peace of mind now. I will go pick up the HP4 coolant tomorrow as you suggested. This isn't an area that I would like to cut corners in.

The next thing I will be looking into is spark plugs. I think the service manual has a section for that though.

Thank you all again for the help... you probably saved my radiator haha.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Alright well the coolant and oil is changed, good there.

One more thing caught my attention. I don't feel like cluttering the forum with my retarded questions, so I will ask it here.

When I shift from neutral to first, it kind of knocks. None of the other gears really do that. Is this normal or should I look into adjusting the clutch?

I appreciate the help again.

Quick Reply: Draining coolant