General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

downshift problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downshift problems

ok heres my problem. when im down shifting multiple gears at a time, it gets stuck in between gears. another words i'll push on the lever it'll go down but not engage in the next gear. i end up having to release the clutch a bit so i'll engage before i can continue shifting. what do i need to adjust tweek or beat with a sledge to fix it. Or do i need to take it back to the dealer for warrenty work. and or any other bits of info as to the cause or anything else. thanx alot for the help in advance

Old 10-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Default RE: downshift problems

your suppose to downshift 1 gear at a time
but it isnt suppose to get stuck somewhere if you downshift more than 1
just press harder down

Old 10-06-2006, 03:46 AM

ME TOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! ........ i wonder what it is? in the beginning i got scared cuz i thought i got down to first, but when i took off from the light, it was all slow cuz i was in like third. My bike doesn't do it all the time though, just sometimes.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two possible reasons for it doing this (actually there are more but I don't want to depress you)
Because there are linkages with the gear selector, they need to greased from time to time, yep even the linkage under the rubber boot. And every year or so it does not hurt to grease the gear pedal pivot
Keep your chain adjusted and lubed, a chain that has excessive slack & tight spots (kajchunk -- kajchunk -- kajchunk) also has an effect on the up, but more so on the down shift. Wot you guys are talking about, is referred to as a "False Neutral" and these should be a thing of the past with modern Japanese gearboxes, (don't believe me, see if you can get a ride on a 80's bike for a comparison) You guys seem to have pretty newish bike, so if it continues I'd would be taking it back to the dealer.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM

the gearbox isnt designed to go down more then one gear at a time! its like that on ALL bikes.. so just go down 1 gear at a time..

Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me like you're both downshifting while stopped at the light...stop doing that.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

sounds to me like you're both downshifting while stopped at the light...stop doing that.
That's when it happens to me too. 6 --> 1 while stopped = bad, well maybe not bad but a long time to get it down to 1st it just doesn't want to go. My bike also down shifts by itself when emergency breaking even with the clutch pulled in.

Mike

Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 PM

snowboard i would take that pos back and be like wtf....My bike can handle multiple downshifts without doubleclutching

Old 10-07-2006, 01:22 PM

What doggy? Someone above said that our bikes are not supposed to do more than 1 down shift at a time? So you're supposed to click down let out the clutch click down let out the clutch etc....??? I just bang it down 5 times at about 20mph and slowing.

Mike

Old 10-07-2006, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82

What doggy? Someone above said that our bikes are not supposed to do more than 1 down shift at a time? So you're supposed to click down let out the clutch click down let out the clutch etc....??? I just bang it down 5 times at about 20mph and slowing.

Mike
I dont think he means you have to let the clutch out, you can downshift as many gears as you want but you can go too fast, which will sometimes make it get caught between gears. I usully downshift slowly through the gears, and I usually try to keep it at what gear I want to take off at the speed I am going. If your slowing down and going 30mph, and the light turns green, your still in 6th gear? I would be in 3rd maybe 4th, you never know what idiots going to try and pull out right in front of you so you should stay in the gear that can get ya outta the way!

And if ya "bang" it down 5 times, your going to end up with a bent shift rod......dont really know what ya mean by "bang" but my bang is kciking it pretty hard.

Quick Reply: downshift problems