General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do it myself or spend the money

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do it myself or spend the money

I'm purchasing a set of replacement forks from a shop that I've never dealt with before. The shop is known for making motorcycle soups and selling them (taking crashed parts off two or more bikes to make a good one). They say they have a good set of forks with low miles, straight and leak free. If anyone knows the shop its GRD in White Plains, MD. I've heard mixed things about them.

They quoted $235 for the set. Labor they say is $65/hr and a 2hr job. An additional $45 for new seals and oil which I asked about. They say the forks are good and don't need the extra work done.

So here's the breakdown and question:
Forks only: $235
Forks and installation only $365
Forks, oil change, seals and installation $410

I've never changed forks before. I can do brakes and I've done front wheel and rotor swaps and I can confidently remove/ reinstall bodywork. Eventually I will be able to do more wrench turning on the bike, but now I really don't need the stress of learning a new skill, nor do I have a proper stand/ jack/ lift (I've been doing it ghetto style for now).

Risk: I've got my first trackday in 9 days. The reason I've turned to them is because my normal source for parts (a CBR Forum member) is unsure about his timeline for getting forks shipped to me, AND I would have to install myself.

Please vote and comment forum members.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do it myself or spend the money

Let the shop do it. It sounds like a fork swap would be well over your head if you were to try, not to mention changing the seals and oil yourself. Since the forks are off you might as well rebuild them now so you don't have to tear the bike apart again.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:37 AM

For me, changing the front end is pretty simple. But you do need to be able to get it off the ground. as far a changing the seals, remember the old adage... if it aint broke, don't fix it. Unless there is visible leaks leave them alone for now. They will be fine for a track day. The oil does need changed at some point but the forks are not very old so don't worry about it right now.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:45 PM

Replacing the oil & seals was my first 'major' maintenance I did on my first bike, and it went very well, and was fairly easy. I hear cartridge forks are even easier (gonna be doing the same on my CBR soon).
With the same $$ investment as the labor you'd pay, you could purchase a front pin stand and do the work yourself. If you've got a set of good tools (sockets, wrenches, the like), and about 3 or 4 hours to spend, you can do it. I haven't read up on the details of the f4i, but on my old bike, I had to buy a long threaded stud and 4 nuts from home depot, to hold the bolt on the bottom of the fork, and i think a 1 1/4" pvc pipe to use as a seal driver. I'm sure there's lots of info on here to get you through it. Honestly, its not that tough.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the fork replacement last night. I left the oil/seals alone. It test rode great and corrected a worrysome problem. I'm now fiddling with suspension settings. Thanks for the support guys.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal! Remember, improving the rider (mechanical skills count too) makes 10X more difference than improving the bike