General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY stands

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006 | 12:12 PM
|
Default DIY stands

Alright guys, as some of you know, i've got a screw in my rear tire. The Honda dealer will put my new tire on for $37 if I can bring them just the wheel, or, $69 if I bring the whole bike. Problem is, I have no rear stand yet, and, was wondering if there was a ghetto way to get the bike off the ground safely, or, if anyone reading this might have a stand that might be used? I would be more than willing to pick up a 12pack of whichever frosty beverage you chose. If noone has a stand, is there a way to get the bike up to get the tire off? Thanks in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Tylor

Old 07-28-2006 | 01:19 PM
Default RE: DIY stands

Some people use jack stands. I have heard people put them under the rear sets of bike, one on either side.

I'm looking for a paddle stand - spend the money and get a good one - it'll last your lifetime. Consider the $30 a rebate on the stand You'll use the stand everyday to do chain lubes, adjustments, storage...

Old 07-28-2006 | 01:20 PM

thats what i used is jack stands. i have th eswingawr spools on mine so all i do is jack it up and get a friend to put the jack stands under the spools and then lower the bike down.

Old 07-28-2006 | 01:27 PM

I've used a car tire. It's tricky but can be done by 1 man. Put the tire on the rt. side of bike near headers fully flat. Grab under subframe from left side and balance on sidestand. Reach over and rotate tire under headers. Rear tire should be in air depending on where car tire is. (BTW car tire should have rim and some air, you have to adjust air pressure for stability)

Old 07-28-2006 | 02:02 PM
|

I'm trying to tell my wife that it's a $30 dollar rebate towards a stand, or, a set of stands from checkeredflag on ebay. I think I may be winning her over on that one.

Tylor

Old 07-28-2006 | 03:19 PM

my three suggestions:

1) grab a buddy and just use two standard jack stands. each person grabs a rear set, you lift, and slide the stands underneath the swingarm. i've did it several times and it is surprisingly stable (still be very careful, since it isn't as good as real stands)

2) go to a certain very large kawi forum (search on google) and participate in their group buy on checkered flag stands (they are going for $100 shipped to your door)

3) hop on ebay, look for t-rex stands, and they are also $100 bucks shipped to your door (thats what I use)

Old 07-28-2006 | 03:44 PM

Get a set of stands, or at least a rear stand. If you screw around with other methods you are just asking to drop it.

I think about how stupid I was for using jackstands every time I pop my bike up on the rearstand (which is anytime I am not going to ride for more than two days.).

Old 07-28-2006 | 04:44 PM

+1 for BlackDog

He is absolutely right, what will the cost be if your bike falls over and breaks or scratches anything.

Also dont screw your back up, you actually need that to ride the bike.

And last, I cant believe one of your buds in FL cant help you out. If you were close to me, I would do it for you
not only pull the wheel, but mount and balance the tire also.

Todd

Old 07-28-2006 | 04:44 PM
|

I'm looking at the trex rear stand right now, and, it'd end up being $75 shipped to my door. You like the Trex stand? Sturdy enough? Do you use it with spools? Or, the Universal swingarm side?

Tylor

Old 07-28-2006 | 06:05 PM

Since you have a F2, I would sugest the Universal stand. Otherwise you are going to need to install spools on your swigarm.

Quick Reply: DIY stands