General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Discussion) Carb diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Discussion) Carb diagnosis

I see here and on other sites people looking for help because their bike won't run. Maybe it'll run when gas or starter fluid is squirted in. Maybe it won't run even then. Then someone inevitably mentions syncing or rebuilding the carbs. Here's where I have a problem
  1. How can you sync the carbs if the bike doesn't run?
    I mean if the bike doesn't run with the carbs inline, how can you sync the carbs? The engine has to be running and capable of sustaining it, no matter how poorly, for a good bit using the carbs to accomplish a carb sync. Ergo, the carbs being out of sync shouldn't stop it from running. It maybe a PITA to start. Or like mine, noticeably rough with obvious signs they're out of sync (holding a piece of paper at the exhaust causes it to unevenly flutter).
  2. If squirting fuel directly in the engine doesn't get her to run, why suspect the carbs?
    Plugs are wet fouling and shooting starting fluid or gas directly into the throttle bodies doesn't get her to run, albeit breifly, I'd start thinking electrical. Plugs aren't giving a sufficient spark for whatever reason to cause ignition. Haven't the carbs essentially been bypassed at that point? If so, gas + spark = fire. Or at least should according to my elementary science teacher and every fire dept in the world

This is oversimplified but I think it needs to be. I get the feeling ppl overcomplicate diagnosing carbs / throttle bodies, going directly for the hardest thing possible. And skipping easy fixes, or at least missing easy signs that might point to the real problem. I did it with my bike, cleaning the carbs 3 times before discovering it was an air issue completely unrelated to the carbs. I mean its great I can pull my carbs in about 30 minutes now.

But **** it I'd rather have that week of my life earning that experience back, never having the torture of mucking about with the throttle cables and the bazzillion screws in the air box!

Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya there, I spent nearly a month and a half (mind you this was between full time job and full time school) trying to cure my running rich symptoms... rebuilding my carbs, syncing them, changing plugs, testing the fuel pump, adjusting pilot screws, everything under the sun! finally I pulled my coils to test them and found out the PO had hooked the leads up in reverse causing a weak spark, ran like a champ, but now it was lean, had to re-adjust my needles, pilot screws, re-sync and finally got my bike up and running..... just in time for the first snow... ha ha

Old 11-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice, but no two situations are the same. The most common problems are usually suggested first, then from there, come other suggestions. The main problem in diagnosis a problem over the internet is people who are genuinly trying to help don't get sufficient information. I can't count how many times someone asks a questions about their issue, only to come back later and say it was something not even related to what they were asking. Such as, " I cleaned the carbs", only to find out the person really didnt clean them properly, .. or I checked the fuel delivery, only to find out they really didnt check it correctly. Leaving out information is huge in the person asking the questions. Example, " my bike wont run,.... later on to find out the bike was totalled, and it was an electrical issue.

Again, the information that is provided is soley based on the information given by the person asking for help. If they don't provide enough information when asking the questions, generalized responses are all that can be suggested.

Im on the other end of the debate.. I have a problem when the asker doesnt give enough information, and it turns out to be something not even related to the original question. As I said, its almost impossible without being there next to the bike to give accurate diagnosis over the internet. But most people truly try to help. And, it is the internet, so its up to the person asking the questions to decide which advice to follow.