General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

here is the 2nd video, after i move the handle bar, the buzzing noise goes away....

Old 09-16-2012, 11:02 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
Hmm....

Had a feeling.

Check the primary ground points. Should be one up front around the steering head and of course back by the battery. One up front has a tendacy to come loose and occasional develop corrosion between it and the alu frame tab.
ground point up front? good idea....let me check once i have time. My kids are nagging me to take them out to play "Sunday"...BRB

meanwhile, any other ideas to help me trouble shoot (when i get back) would be appreciated...thanks Jay

Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
I've seen some seller on eBay selling some Yuasa battery, but they say battery will be ship dry without acid. Do not include acid. Buyer will need to add acid and charge before use. Anyone familiar with this?
yup, thats pretty much how they all come today...
but at least you know you have fresh battery, that way..
al though the new battery your buying comes with complete battery/acid...

Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Default Found the problem...

Wow...guess live and learn. So I got home today, I realized I only live a block away from cycle gear...took the old battery there. They pull a chrome battery tester....I told them I took battery to O'reilly this morning and they tested battery at 13.66V.... Cycle gear told me their tester is specialize for motorcycle and they also test the crank amps (not just voltage). He hook battery up and it does show 13V...when he press crank "ERROR" which indicate battery totally give up...even if voltage tester read battery 13V...does not mean cranking amp is working. I explain to him how the bike die and the buzzing sound...and he confirm it's the battery....

Guess lesson learn is to take battery to a motorcycle qualify shop, test using proper motorcycle equipment. Don't take to a auto part shop using a voltage meter. Voltage reading and cranking amps is unrelated...2 separate reading. In my case, voltage is good but cranking amp is dead...just thankful it didn't happen when I was riding...

Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The O'Reilly tester was fine. It was operator error.

Glad you got it all figured out.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:50 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The O'Reilly tester was fine. It was operator error.

Glad you got it all figured out.
Yes, the operator advise his tester is for auto only, but able to get a voltage reading....and reading was 13.66V. He was sure it's good enough to start a bike.

Guess a battery really can go out like a light bulb. I thought it always will gradually die out...like you can recharge it and still use it until purchase of a new one. This battery went out like a blown fuse.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM

How awesome is that!!! Good for you..right from the beginning i had a hunch..my bike acted exactly the same way..I'll tell ya,a couple of cold mornings will do it..and turns out to be a cheap fix, without being stranded Somewhere..awesome!!!
Jay..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:13 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Talking about batteries...I went with AGM...glass mat.

Gel one a bit more cost...but I did some research saying that gel batteries need special charger...ever heard of this. I'll cut and paste the article BRB

Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Found this...good read:

Battery Type Comparison
what an interesting find!!! i had no idea there are soo many options to buying a new battery... i wonder how much these Advanced Glass Mat Valve Regulated Sealed Lead Acid Battery Construction (AGM or VRSLAB go for??
just bought a regular battery for mine and actually seeing all that information i wonder why its not more readly available on the shelves..
i would buy one just for the fact: they create no fumes.
hence no blowing up in your face... well goodluck, post a picture of the new battery you install, which ever one you chose and let us know if these battreies are better especaiily at cracnking amps. it sounds like they should crank longer and not lose they're charge as fast as the old style!!! do you know what i mean?? turn off your gas after you get her going and such, and just let her crank.. that will tell you if the article is bull****!!! and if you live in cali, i'm surprized they even allow you to use the old style versus the new.. ha
anyway have a good week man.. later..
jay

Quick Reply: Dead battery or something else?