General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting out

Hello all,
i come to you in hopes of getting some help with my recently acuired cbr600 f3. Ok so i just did a full tune up, bike only has 9k miles and is absolutely stunning. Only aftermaqrket thing is the exhaust everything else is stock and original the carbs were never removed prior. SO that being said i put everything back with a new fuel filter and hoses and bike started right up. I would also like to let you know that the mixture valve that is plugged in and has all the hoses on for the EPA purposes has been removed. Ok so bike will start and run at idle but as soon as i touch the throttle it will cut out like when u push the off button. The rpm drop immidiately and the bike stalls, but will fire up again right away. Someone said the fuel pump so i removed it and still the same. Charging is over 13.5 and battery is new(magna power) SParks are new, oil is new, air filted etc. Will this be an electrical or mechanical problem? ANy input fellas will be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your carburetors aren't clean. Take them off and do it again.

How long has it been since the bike last ran well ? Ran at all ?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 PM

thanks for your input,
ok i will pull them again but can the carbs cut out the engine? I mean usually they will make it sputter or backfire etc this just cuts out like you turn the switch to off.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM

Forgot to mention that it will not do it every time i hit the throttle but 3 out of 5 times it will cut off especially if i punch it hard ansd it gets up to around 7 or 8k rpms and its like someone turned the key off. A few times it cut out and it turned back on it didnt completely die. I noticed that when it does cut off the rpms drop to 0 right away even with the engine still slowly shutting off?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cbrdevil32
thanks for your input,
ok i will pull them again but can the carbs cut out the engine? I mean usually they will make it sputter or backfire etc this just cuts out like you turn the switch to off.
yes if they are plugged they are not getting fuel to all your cylinder btw, the f3 does not have a fuel pump its gravity fed with a vacuum operated petcock that runs off the #4 cylinder, and yes you need to clean those carbs, pull the float bowl, check your pilot jet, slow jet, main jet, and pull out the diaphragm slide from top and make sure you dont have a varnish ring on your needle

Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The carb-cleaning part is correct, but the 98F3 does use a pump and relay,
and does not use a vacuum petcock. There is no v-line from the carbs,
it uses a manual valve on the petcock for reserve/off/main.

Ern

Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 PM

The F3 comes with a fuel pump you got it wrong bud! Ok carbs are out and are soaking as i type. Will follow up shortly, thanks

Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrdevil32
Forgot to mention that it will not do it every time i hit the throttle but 3 out of 5 times it will cut off especially if i punch it hard ansd it gets up to around 7 or 8k rpms and its like someone turned the key off. A few times it cut out and it turned back on it didnt completely die. I noticed that when it does cut off the rpms drop to 0 right away even with the engine still slowly shutting off?
Ok, now this little bit of information would have been nice to know. Your original description sounded like classic clogged ports. As soon as the throttle is cracked open, it goes lean and dies because it's not getting more fuel. Saying that the tachometer drops to 0 instantly like you turned off the bike is another thing all together. Its certainly not going to hurt it that you're cleaning the carburetors better though.

With the tachometer dropping to zero, it could be an ignition problem. Something as simple as dirty contacts on the Engine Stop switch, which is located on the Right Clip-On/Handlebar. I guess we'll have to wait until you get it back together before doing any additional testing/checking.

I'm sure nuin954 was just thinking of the F2 which has that type of setup.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 03-02-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:32 PM

my apologize guys i thought was same as f2 =P learn something new everyday! hehe

Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Found the issue it was a connector that wasnt pushed all the way in. Thank you guys!

Quick Reply: cutting out