General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom integrated signals...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom integrated signals...

I got this idea today while modifiying the rear fender... Is it possible to wire your rear blinkers into the brake light? In theory since my F4i has two lights, i would be able to wire in the hot wire from each of the side blinkers, without using any after market kits. Now this is just a thought, I belive it will work. Have not tried yet. But i do know if its a matter of splicing i'd rather splice some wires than spend $70 + for a kit that does the same.

Im not an electrician so i dont know too much on this. I pulled off something similar with my celica. I spliced wires from the blinkers into the side markers and made it so i had signals on the sides.

Anyway any input would be appreciated. Im going to the loacal bike shop to get a closer look at the kit i saw there for $70. It looks like two wiring harneses so im thinking your paying $70 for a clean look and no splicing. After i see the kit if my thought is correct ill try this mod tomorrow evening.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Default RE: custom integrated signals...

Sorry, but I don't think it will work. The reason it worked on your car is beacuse there is only 2 wires, the power and the ground. A bike is more complicated, but I have a lot cheaper alturnative for you. Go to your local autozone or wal mart and get a tail light converter. It costs about $10. I put it on my old bike and it worked awesome. If you need some more help send me a pm or an email and I'll go take some pics and walk you through the install.

-Jesse-

Old 02-19-2006, 08:21 AM

You mean like for trailers? if you can send me a PM let me know how to go about this install... Thanks... Im doing the front blinkers tomorrow so if i can get the rear done too ill be done with mods until my sliders come in...

Old 02-19-2006, 08:49 AM

Tried it. didn't work with my 929. The problem is both tail lights are wired together so both will illuminate when either blinker is on. Yours may be different, but I think the brake/tail light is wired in series. Check me though.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: ikon

You mean like for trailers? if you can send me a PM let me know how to go about this install... Thanks... Im doing the front blinkers tomorrow so if i can get the rear done too ill be done with mods until my sliders come in...
I'll try to get some pics tonight, yeah its for a trailer. Its pretty small and is really easy to hook up. I used to have pictures but I just cleaned up all of my photos so I'll go take some.

-Jesse-

Old 02-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Retired Administrator

I looked into your question a little. I too am not an electrical engineer, but I can read. I looked at using a relay to get the desired results you need because that's what relays do. I looked up the normal/common SPDT relay you can buy at any auto parts store for around $5 to $10 (I assume). I have not tested this theory, but it looks good on paper.
Here goes my theory:

You have two wires supplying the 1157 bulb. One for break and the other for running light. I'm not explaining the ground wire here.. so you have three wires actually, but we only need to deal with the two 12v leads. Use a test light/multi meter and find out which 12v is which. The tail light is the dimmer one so leave it alone. Mark the 12v for the brake light with a tape, that's the one we will be working with. I looked at cutting the 12v lead going to the break light and wiring up a SPDT (single pole double throw) relay. Single pole means one source of power and double throw means two out puts. I have all of this in the diagram. If you connect the 12v going to the break light to #30 and wire the break light back up to #87a, your break light is back to normal and will be working as a break light. Now here's the signal light side of it. Cut the signal wire and connect the 12v lead to the #86 and ground out #85. #87 will have to be spliced into the wire leading to the stop light. And you're finished. What the relay has done is kept the 12v supply to the stop light the same because #30 and 87a normally have continuity, but when you send power to #85 and #86, you energize the coil causing the power to switch from #87a to #87. Since you're supplying the relay with power from your turn signal switch after the turn signal relay... you'll end up with a flashing break light on one side. That's my UNTESTED THEORY!!! Pick up a relay and test it using a multi meter.

If none of this makes since, I some times have a hard time explaining things that make sense to me.... but if I lost you, ask and I'll try to make sense of it. If you are unable to test it, I can pick up a relay later and test it to see what happens. But... I'm at a really busy point in my life... moving, separating from the military and finishing up school ( I graduate in a month!!!) I'll try and work this in somewhere.

Here's the picture:

[IMG]local://upfiles/1936/648B55610A7345A891593F77BBC73843.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 PM

i have a 1970 vw baja bug and was trying to figure out the easiest way to make my 2 taillights function as turn signlas as well as brake lights. after trying many different trailer converters, none of them worked. i ended up using 3 relays and it worked perfect. if anyone wants to see a wiring diagram, let me know and il make one.
________
Coach Purses

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 PM

ORIGINAL: axsys

i have a 1970 vw baja bug and was trying to figure out the easiest way to make my 2 taillights function as turn signlas as well as brake lights. after trying many different trailer converters, none of them worked. i ended up using 3 relays and it worked perfect. if anyone wants to see a wiring diagram, let me know and il make one.
I did the converter on my old bike and couldn't get it to work either, but I found out that that you have to put in a heavy duty flasher to make it work. Heres the pics of the converter.

When you hook the converter up don't use the tail light wires or the ground wires. Leave these wires alone on the bike also. Then all that you have to do is find the turn signal power wires and the brake power. Then just hook up the wires from the converter to the bulbs. If you get it done and the turn signal flashes, but stops when you touch the brake you will need a heavy duty flasher. You can get the heavy duty flasher and converter at autozone for under $20. If you need anymore help let me know.

-Jesse-

Old 02-20-2006, 02:39 AM

Thanks for all the info. Btw congrats on school... I got 3 more years :-/

Anyway it all makes sense up until i see the diagram... but your instructions arent bad. Im sure once i start it'll all make sense once im doin it... As for my theory i highly suggest no one tries it. I of course being the hard headed guy i am i gave it a shot. I destroyed my battery, and had to buy a new one. LOL anyway with all sciences and things other poeple have prooved comes the thrill of trying it your self... Anyway thanks alot for the info. Ill give this a shot next weekend. not sure which one... but thanks