General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a CRACK!? in my PLASTIC?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a CRACK!? in my PLASTIC?!!!

Hey guys, unfortunately its true. I did crack my fairing but.. .luckily, its not very big. My question to you is, how do I fix it while not compromising the look of the bike? the crack is in the plastic "shelf" that runs along the side of the gas tank and then continues on to the windscreen. Its right where the plastic meats the tank just before it takes a right turn towards the windscreen.

thanks for any help guys,

Chris

Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Default RE: a CRACK!? in my PLASTIC?!!!

they make plastic welders but they will comprimise the look alot so I feel replacing it is the best route

Old 02-04-2005, 12:03 AM

[:@] [&:] I dont think I will replace because of a tiny crack... that would be VERY EXPENSIVE [&:]

any other ideas? jb weld??

Old 02-04-2005, 04:12 PM

If you can post some pics of the cracked fairing. Pics would be very helpful.

Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 PM

Those are two quick pics I took. I was also wondering, what is the best/easiest way to take the front fairings off... as I think I will need to to add my new turn signals :S weee

anyways, one step at a time

thanks for any help!

Chris

Old 02-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe I'd try some epoxy glue on the back. If you don't do anything then it might get larger due to vibration. There are a few places I've heard of that will repair your plastics but I don't know how much it costs. Do you even know why it cracked?

Old 02-05-2005, 05:21 AM
L8X

dude, thats nothing...just duct tape the bottom and squirt some superglue on top. no one will notice as it is

Old 02-05-2005, 10:29 PM

Chain... it happened after we brought it back from the dealer... i dont have any ramps or anything like that so we had to manhandle it out of my truck... evidently it was really small to begin with, as i dont think i noticed it right afterwards, but i did hear a cracking noise and gave the bike a thorough look-over. After a couple of days of riding it (shouldnt have [:'(] dont have my m1 endorsement OR insurance, but i couldnt help it.. its sooo tempting... anyway-) I noticed the crack there... so it either happened over time or i missed it when we pulled her out.... bummer to put the first ding in it b4 i even start riding hahahahah oh well, ill get it fixed...

have any of you had experience w/ jb weld on bike plastics? does it work? I know it worked fairly well on little odd-jobs that i did to my pocket bike.

anyways, thanks for all the help guys, its definately appreciated.

Chris

Old 02-06-2005, 02:26 AM

i know with epoxy would be good. jsut have to becareful with it because if you put too much hardener on in the mix it will because really hot. that might melt the plastic. so make sure you mix a could of batches to get it just right. had a friend who almost burn him self on it because he mix it on a paper plat and pick the plat up. also if you want it to look good you want to put in on the back of the plastic and mabey put a little tuch up paint on the out side to cover it a bit. jsut my idea.

Nipz~

Old 02-06-2005, 02:52 PM

I would try just a little fibergass and matting on the backside of the fairing. Then just get some touch up paint and fill in your crack on the topside and will hardly be noticeable. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: a CRACK!? in my PLASTIC?!!!