General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking from waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leaking from waterpump?

Well, as it says...i have some coolant dripping from the bottom of my water pump on my f2. Its not alot at all, just a few drops but its enough for me to want to fix it. Do i just need to replace the O-ring inside the water pump? Help is appreciated

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Coolant leaking from waterpump?

where exactly is it coming from? there is an o-ring that holds both sides of the pump together, but also if the pump itself goes bad, it'll start to leak as well. if it's from the 2 sides of the pump meet then try retorquing it down. if it's from the weep hole, then you need a new pump.
make sure it's not coming from any of hoses that should be clamped tightly.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:43 PM

yea, its from the weep hole...but couldn't it be a bad oring too?

Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM

I lied, its not from the weep hole, its just coming from the bottom of the water pump. Is it possible to over tighten those bolts on there (the mounting bolts) because they werent all the way tight, i tighted them, but not as tight as i could...

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Ok, you guys probably think im an idiot. But it IS coming from the weephole, which means new water pump is on the way soon. Its an easy install though it looks like?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea...just take off the hose clamps and hoses, remove old, install new. plug and play.
though the manual does say put a bit of molybednum grease on the shaft before installing...
you can get away without this step as the shaft is lubricated by the engine oil anyway.

i got a water pump off ebay for $40! works great, no leakage, etc.! but you know how it is on there, buy at your own discretion.

bonus info.
yes, moly causes clutch slippage but in large amounts. a little won't hurt...just ironic how the manual says to use a bit.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM

heads up,, i.e. weep hole leaks.
automotive antifreeze causes this,, has corrosive inhibitor's in it, dont use it in bikes, eats the seal..
make sure your new anti, doesnt have any or come's from the honda shop..

michael

Old 05-22-2007, 12:34 AM

hi guys i have the exact same issue right now...the water pump is leaking coolant from the weep hole...
how does this indicated i have to buy a new water pump?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 AM

Probably an internal bushing in there that is supposed to be water tight, when it goes out it leaks.

Kind of a wierd referral but I have a water pump for like pools and aqauariums that has a bushing that went out and it now drips. Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 AM

Yes its an internal seal that has gone bad and that is what the weep hole is for, to let you know if its gone bad. When you install the new one, either hold the bike up straight or drain the oil. If left on the kickstand, you'll lose a lot of oil and make a mess. Also when you install it, you'll need to turn the impeller while installing so as to line up the notch in the water pump shaft with the oil pump shaft's matchinng notch. And grease the o-ring so you don't pinch and/or cut it.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking from waterpump?