General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold morning, hard starting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold morning, hard starting...

needing some advice on how to get my bike to startup easier in the mornings or when its cold... ive notice lately as the weather has started to get cooler its even harder. ive actually used all the life in my new battery twice trying to start it... and had to recharge it a few times already due to it!!
usually i have to pull full choke, hit run switch, hold starter for a lil while (no throttle or it dies), when it kicks over keep holding choke to max or if i let it go it will stall, then very slowly build some throttle and hold it at about 4grand for 30 seconds or so.. does that sound normal or is there anything i can do to the carbies or anything to at least improve it? especially on the ice cold mornings/nights!
any help appreciated

dennis

Old 04-10-2006, 05:16 AM
Default RE: cold morning, hard starting...

Im interested as well? I think my issue tho is not using the choke right..... i generally get a huge backfire before it will start. any tips?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 PM

You should be able to just turn the choke all the way on and start the bike up. It may stall out and die once or twice, but just start it again. You shouldn't have to give it any gas to keep it running. If you do, I'd suggest getting your carbs cleaned.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: aero77

needing some advice on how to get my bike to startup easier in the mornings or when its cold... ive notice lately as the weather has started to get cooler its even harder. ive actually used all the life in my new battery twice trying to start it... and had to recharge it a few times already due to it!!
usually i have to pull full choke, hit run switch, hold starter for a lil while (no throttle or it dies), when it kicks over keep holding choke to max or if i let it go it will stall, then very slowly build some throttle and hold it at about 4grand for 30 seconds or so.. does that sound normal or is there anything i can do to the carbies or anything to at least improve it? especially on the ice cold mornings/nights!
any help appreciated

dennis
I had a similiar issue a while back but it was on a kawasaki. I took it to the shop and had a tune-up. After that it solved the cold starting problem.

When was the last time you had the bike tuned?