CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Hard to start in the morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start in the morning

Hi there, I did several searches but couldn't really find a answer to my question so here goes it..

I have a 1994 f2 600 had it for about a month. Runs really good, In the morning I find it hard to start it up ( 4am ) I live in Tucson Arizona so the wheather isn't cold at all.

my routine is I turn choke on all the way (it does work) turn on gas turn key and hit the start button about the 3 hit on the start button it will run for 3 or so seconds then die, I then try again and it idles a little more 3 or 4 more tries it will get a steady idle then I'll slowy rev it up a little push choke back and buggie no spitting or coughing runs smooth after that.

This morning I hit the damn start button at least 20 freakin times and couldn't get it started, threw my helmet down and rode off on my harley all pissed off. The original owner said he had carbs rebuilt by the stealer about 500 miles ago.

Also when I got home today about 1pm 8 hours later I put the key in and BAM on click of the button and it started right up.

Any suggestions?
Thanks alot

Jack

Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Default RE: Hard to start in the morning

does it crank over fast or slow?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 PM

fouled plugs? dirty filter?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:46 PM

Hi Lonewolf, it cranks fast, has a good charger on the battery.

Hi Cowboy, Plugs are clean also the filter. This AM I got it started with only 3 try's. I think I am going to take it in to a shop before winter and have carbs re cleaned new choke cable and throttle cables put it and that should solve my problem until then I think I can live with it. The bike starts on a dime in the afternoon. I think there just has to be a problem with the choke or carb itself.

Jack

Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Jbrew, try doing this, start the bike without the choke in the morning and when you hear it catch/start, give it gas (leave the choke lever alone) and try idling it with just giving it gas. If that works my guesses is an incorrectly installed choke cable or one installed but with the wrong adjustment at the carbs. It could be a lot simpler than you think.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:40 PM

When the carbs were rebuilt were they stock or jetted...I know weather changes affect jetted carbs more severely than stock...and it may explain why you have the problem early in the morning.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM

You may have leaking float needles. Perhaps the carbs are slowly leaking over night and filling up the intakes with fuel? That'll make it hard to start in the morning

Old 07-23-2008, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: edwardtn

When the carbs were rebuilt were they stock or jetted...I know weather changes affect jetted carbs more severely than stock...and it may explain why you have the problem early in the morning.
true dat. my stage 1 made mine alittle cold blooded. maybe the carb just need a good cleanin. seafoam maybe?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have the same problem. Turns out that I didn't clean my carbs out well enough the first 2 times, but the third time was a charm.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:22 PM

My '94 will not stay running either with just the choke being on. I have to have the choke about 3/4, not full,or it won't fire at all. I put the choke on, turn it over and give it just a touch of throttle and she fires right off. Otherwise it falls on it's face and you have to crank the crap out of it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Hard to start in the morning