General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch trouble on the way home today

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
tk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch trouble on the way home today

Something odd happened to my clutch on my commute home. I have a 1999 CBR 600 F4 with roughly 62k miles on it. I took a 90 degree left hander and then it felt like my clutch cable broke or something. The clutch lever and cable went completely flabby. Pulling the lever all the way to the bars did nothing to clutch the bike. Luckily, I wasn't too far from home when it happened and I managed to limp home in 1st. I pulled the fairing off when I got home and took a look. The cable is fine, but the spring loaded lever mechanism that enters the clutch cover is very loose. I can pull it up and, if the frame didn't interfere, I think I could pull the entire mechanism out. That doesn't seem right! Also, If I try to seat that mechanism and turn it by hand it sorta wants to climb up instead of moving the clutch. I assume something inside the cover came loose. Anybody ever have a similar experience? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Default RE: Clutch trouble on the way home today

I had a similar experience with a car....prior to my clutch cable on that car breaking...ended up being the clutch fork being bent along with the return spring being ****ed....car was a basket case...got rid of it...hopefully nothing that serious is up with your bike

Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 AM

This may help.

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...2899-00%29.pdf

Old 07-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Pull your cover off and see whats going on in there. I dont believe on that bike there is a gasket, should just be permatex.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
tk

Thanks guys. I'll try and get that cover off this long weekend. Sorta bummed that I need to drain the oil as I just put a fresh load of Mobil 1 in a few hundred miles ago.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

If you leave your bike on the kickstand you should not lose any oil, or at least very very little. When i did my clutch i lost maybe 5 drips. So slide a pan under it, but dont worry, no oil change needed.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:05 PM

i dont know how safe it is but i have a friend who pulled his fairings off and leaned the bike all the way over on its side when he replaced his clutch. he had changed the oil the while the bike was down from the clutch bein out so didnt want to change it again. he also had frame sliders and was very carefull to not mess anything up.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:31 PM

Hey, I'm 98% sure you broke your clutch pull lever.

It is part number 4 here - http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...RANKCASE_COVER

This is what happened to mine.

Honda Revised this part and the new one I got was different. See?
I think it cost me about $30.

It's really easy to fix. HOWEVER, BE CAREFULL. If something did break inside, it could have fallen into your oil pan or elsewhere!
You must drain all the oil through a sifter and look for any metal parts.

Then once you know which part is broken, MAKE SURE you find all peices of that part!!

I was lucky and the only broken part was caught in the Clutch cover.

Pull the clutch cover off following the manual of course. You have to disconnect the cable and turn the Pull Lever a certain way.
The cover will probably be stuck on pretty good.

Then let us know what you find. I think it is the Pull Lever. If you need any pics of inside under the clutch cover let me know.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM

I just noticed what a coincendence this is. I was fixing my clutch on this exact same day last year. lol
I remember, because it's my birthday!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM
tk

Judging by how everything feels, I think frstplce1 has a winner . That simply has to be my problem. Thanks for the pictures! I'm hoping that I can get in there this weekend. Thank you all very much for your assistance. I'll be sure to post my findings as soon as I get my cover off.

And I almost forgot...Happy Birthday!

Quick Reply: Clutch trouble on the way home today