General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch

I replaced the clutch in my 03 600rr. When I first got it together it was still slipping. I took it apart and put it back together it worked fine. Clutch engaged nicely and was working fine. Rode a few miles realized my case was leaking quite a bit actually. I oil light didn't come on or anything. So I stopped riding and took it apart and resealed it. I didn't touch the clutch at all. Just the bolts in the case. When I put the case back on. The rod would engage the the clutch pin but it seemed as though the pin wouldnt move and the lever that the cable attached to would move to engage but then would stop and not move the clutch at all. Any idea what I did wrong?

Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you turn the lifter to the left as you replaced the cover

Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Default Lifter?

what do you mean by lifter? If you mean the lever on the outside of the case I rotated it into place until it engaged the rod. The case will not go on until it is in the right position. If you are talking about the last fiber clutch disc then yes. The clutch worked fine until I took the case off again. Then all of the sudden it was solid.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Then it can only be cable adjustment

Old 05-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Default No cable

it has nothing to do with the cable. The cable isn’t even connected. The clutch is solid and will not disengage. The rod that pulls the clutch in and out will not move.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Then I would strip it all down and start again

Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 AM

After rebuilding the clutch at least 100 times, the problem is resolved. I hit up a couple FB groups. They told me not to worry about it and just throw the cable on it. I was worried it would stretch or break the cable. But I listened. Put it all together and voila. WORKS. The cable and the lever provides way more torque than I could get on it with my fingers. Turns out the new clutch springs and the new return spring made it pretty stiff. However the cable and lever was enough to handle it.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Then it can only be cable adjustment
Originally Posted by Mater13f
it has nothing to do with the cable. The cable isn’t even connected. The clutch is solid and will not disengage. The rod that pulls the clutch in and out will not move.
Seems it was the cable, you wont move that with your fingers only

Old 05-24-2018, 01:16 PM

You implied that the cable needed adjustment or that there was a problem with the cable. Not that I needed to just hook it up and go. By all means though please take credit for something you didn’t suggest.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Did you really think you could shift 4 clutch springs with your fingers, evidently you know nothing about how the clutch works, take it to a shop next time

Quick Reply: Clutch