General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning your visor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009 | 07:58 PM
|
Default Cleaning your visor

What are things people use to clean their visors? My office has a crap load of these LCD wipes which contains alcohol however it is mixed probably 50/50 w/ distilled water, and is specifically meant for LCDs which includes plastics. They worked pretty good on my visor though it took a couple of em to clean up some smudges from dirty paws (my own) but not bad. Brings out the UV filtering on the lens that's for sure.

I've also been told toilet paper, and mild soap is a great (cheap) alternative. It was recommended from a paintball ranch to keep your lenses clean. Obviously an approved cleaner would be best, but figured I'd throw this out there for input and some influence.

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:01 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

I clean mine the same way I do my sunglasses. Hot water and dishwashing liquid with bare fingertips, then blot dry with paper towel (don't wipe lest you scratch it).

Old 03-21-2009 | 11:20 AM

i use the cleaning cloth you get at walmart for glasses, it doesnt scratch and makes it nice and clean, ive also heard of people using turtle wax to buff out scratches, i know this works on glasses but never tried it on the plastic visor

Old 03-21-2009 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by NetBSD
i use the cleaning cloth you get at walmart for glasses, it doesnt scratch and makes it nice and clean, ive also heard of people using turtle wax to buff out scratches, i know this works on glasses but never tried it on the plastic visor
turtle wax?? ImmA go try that right now on my oakleys

Old 03-21-2009 | 09:27 PM

all i use is a microfiber cloth and water if it needs it.

Old 03-21-2009 | 11:34 PM

I like Windex NO-Drip formula and microfiber towel.

Old 03-22-2009 | 05:40 PM

not to hijack the thread but wil the above cleaning methods keep it from fogging up? Some cold morning rides up here in Wa. state and fogging is always a pain for me

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:35 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Rain-X makes some anti-fogging stuff that works real good. Don't know if it's safe for helmet visors though (read the label)... you thread jacker you

Old 03-23-2009 | 02:19 AM

Is this normal? I have a mirrored lens and whenever I bring it indoors or somewhere with less than blinding light, you can see wavy rainbow marks that look pretty ugly IMO and defeat the purpose of the mirrored finish. Are those the UV protective coats?

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dominate.
Is this normal? I have a mirrored lens and whenever I bring it indoors or somewhere with less than blinding light, you can see wavy rainbow marks that look pretty ugly IMO and defeat the purpose of the mirrored finish. Are those the UV protective coats?
look at a digital clock or watch and see if you can read it with out looking at a weird angle. if you cant then its a polorized lense its normal. they do suck in low light but they save ur eyes

Quick Reply: Cleaning your visor