General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

claning chain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default claning chain...

Tomorrow morning I'm pulling my rear tire to get my new rubber mounted, and while I'm in the process I want to clean my chain up really good. I have a gold chain, but it has not been gold since I have owned the bike!

My question is what should I clean the chain with that will clean it well and not ruin the O-rings?

Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks in advanced

Scott.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM

http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/

I use this site along with many other members to do the maintenance, has pics and easy to interpret set of instructions.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing I don't agree with is spinning the rear wheel fast while spraying lube on it.
I use kerosene (also called paraffin) to clean my chain with. (I can't see WD40 doing any damage & it works a treat getting oil & grease off your hands). I use a really soft toothbrush & very gently remove the crud build up in the links. You don't have to go that far, but as long your getting your hands dirty. I then wipe the chain dry with a cloth & then let it dry.
I apply the lube to the exposed chain (between the sprockets) making sure I get it into all the links (I also hold a rag underneath so the spray does not go all over my tyre).
I then do the chain adjustment.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
The one thing I don't agree with is spinning the rear wheel fast while spraying lube on it.
I use kerosene (also called paraffin) to clean my chain with. (I can't see WD40 doing any damage & it works a treat getting oil & grease off your hands). I use a really soft toothbrush & very gently remove the crud build up in the links. You don't have to go that far, but as long your getting your hands dirty. I then wipe the chain dry with a cloth & then let it dry.
I apply the lube to the exposed chain (between the sprockets) making sure I get it into all the links (I also hold a rag underneath so the spray does not go all over my tyre).
I then do the chain adjustment.
paraffin? isn't that the stuff that physical therapist use that turns into a waxy build when you dip a body part in??

Old 03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paraffin is a generic name for a mix of different length hydrocarbons; can range from parrafin waxes to thin liquids such as kerosene that are suitable for chain cleaning.

BTW, dont use WD-40 on your chain its TOO thin and will dissolve the grease contained within your O ring chain.

Parrafin (kerosene) for garden heaters/lamps is perfect!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM

thanks for all the advice yawl! Back home in Vermont there was a gas station around the corner that sold kerosene and I would use it in my heater, here in New York I have not seen any gas stations with kerosene... Can you buy a little bottle of it at walmart? I did an online search at walmart and I did not find any...

thanks for your time

Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use wd-40 or kerosene to clean mine with n had no issues with either!!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
Paraffin is a generic name for a mix of different length hydrocarbons; can range from parrafin waxes to thin liquids such as kerosene that are suitable for chain cleaning.

BTW, dont use WD-40 on your chain its TOO thin and will dissolve the grease contained within your O ring chain.

Parrafin (kerosene) for garden heaters/lamps is perfect!
Wd-40 to clean the chain is fine. Definitely not up to lubing it

Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on WD40 for cleaning, then use quality chain lube.

I clean & lube my chain almost as described in that link, except for spinning wheel fast.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM

I know its not hot sauce, but I use that sh*t on everything. WD-40 that is. I use it to clean my chain, wheels, frame, basically everything but the grips and seats.

Quick Reply: claning chain...