General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap ass bolts?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cheap *** bolts?!?

Was putting on my Rizoma lh engine guard. Accidentally took out one of the wrong screws. No big deal, I'll put it back in.

Name:  20140207_131331_zpsmb0wairi.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  54.0 KB

Son of a bitch! Looks like plastic. And I was hand tightening it at the time. Hadn't even touched my torque wrench. Rizoma bolts went in fine and torqued to 10.8 nm per instructions.

Now I gotta get that piece of bolt out. Even better, I used blue loctite on it

Old 02-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is it made of aluminium? If it is, those are one time use only and must be replaced each time they are torqued down.

You really need to get it out before the loctite dries.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 PM

Can't get it out. And whatever is on the outside, the core definitely isn't metal

Name:  20140207_144100_zpsqlzubow9.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  133.1 KB

I'll let the dealer mess with it next service. It's not going to cause a leak and the cover ain't gonna fall off

Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sucks, sucks even more you put loctite on it. Yeah my BMW 335i car has a ton of aluminum bolts. I replaced my water pump which was held in with three aluminum bolts. Thankfully the guy at the parts counter told me about them or I would have reused the same bolts, wouldn't doubt BMW using aluminum bolts on their bikes too.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know what the cure time is on blue, but I'm sure it's not longer (it's usually shorter) than red - and that's 24 hours. (although the cold may not let it cure as quickly)

I'd go buy one of those extract-o kits. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg. If the loctite does cure - I don't know if they'll be able to get it out without drilling and heli-coiling it - don't know how much they'd charge...

What bolt is that exactly?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM

Engine cover bolt. Decided to brave the cold and put the lhs engine cover on. Might have to make a run to Pep Boys then

Old 02-08-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Don't know what the cure time is on blue, but I'm sure it's not longer (it's usually shorter) than red - and that's 24 hours. (although the cold may not let it cure as quickly)

I'd go buy one of those extract-o kits. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg. If the loctite does cure - I don't know if they'll be able to get it out without drilling and heli-coiling it - don't know how much they'd charge...

What bolt is that exactly?
Took your advice. Figured since it's not a mission critical bolt and the clock ticking on the loctite, hit up HF for a set of left handed bits and bolt extractor. Got it out and doesn't seem to be any damage to the threads.

They were 1 time use bolts by the way (why I don't know).

Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Whew - glad you got it out.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Set time on blue loctite is 30 min, cure time is 12hrs and air/watertight seal is 24hrs I used to fly through those engine cover bolts because they were one time use. They design them so that loctite is overkill, the metal's elasticity holds it and seals it. Also they fail so easily so that you snap or strip the bolt instead of the engine, they use those bolts throughout the engine and why they charge so frickin much for the ones inside of it. When they are tensioned to a certain torque they hold the two halves to a certain tolerance around bearings and sh*t. Hence the reason they say not to use other bolts. Hope it helps.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I've never been sold on 1 time use bolts in all applications. For intstance, honda says the F4i's front brake caliper bolts are to be replaced every time they are removed, ie one time use bolts. How many people do you think actually do that? I've replaced them once in almost 63k miles.

Some things, like chevy's LS, use torque to yield bolts in critcal areas, in which case I get the one time use. But for a side cover? Not needed. I'd replace all of those with normal bolts from ACE hardware next time you remove them.