General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Changing engine oil hot or cold? Whats better?
Change your oil while its hot, after a nice ride.
17.95%
Change your oil while its warm, start it up let it run for a short while.
74.36%
Change your oil while its cold, let it sit overnight and cool off.
7.69%
Take your motorcycle to a shop and let them handle it.
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Changing oil warm or cold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing oil warm or cold?

I'm a do-it-yourselfer and plan on changing the oil in my 2009 CBR 600RR my self instead of taking it to a shop.
Heres my question:
Should the engine be started and warmed up to operating temperature before draining the old oil.
OR
Should the engine oil be drained while its cold?

Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 PM

i'm kind-of a person that takes the bike out for the ride (shift through every gear a few times). I bring it back home to sit for about 30 minutes so the engine can cool just a bit before i unplug and drain the oil. seems oil would be alot easier to drain if it's warm/hot rather than cold (if you live in a 4 seasons area - not like las vegas)

I dont think draining it while it's cold would hurt anything but who knows.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil should be changed when warm for a couple reasons. First, it gets the oil flowing a bit better to get it all out, but more importantly it mixes up all the crap in the oil so when you change it, it also comes out.

I let it sit for about a half hour or so to cool down after a ride and then change it.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wont hurt anything to do it while its cold, but it flows better when its warm.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM

I take my bike out for a short ride to warm the oil up. Once I'm back into the garage I pull the filter and drain plug right away. Then I walk away for 20-30 mins while the oil drains and my bike cools down.

Moses

Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well I wouldn't change it while its hot for a simple reason: human body parts + hot bike = pain

I usually let her idle a bit, round bout 115 or so then pop the plug.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
well I wouldn't change it while its hot for a simple reason: human body parts + hot bike = pain

I usually let her idle a bit, round bout 115 or so then pop the plug.
Nothing like an oil burn, some bike are better than others for removing the sump plug. Unfortunately CBR's aren't one of them.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:36 PM

ehh i havent had a problem with burning myself - i use alot of rags and have extension sockets so i never touch the pipes. I also put a fishing magnet on the extension socket so it will "grab" the bolt when the oil pours out and tries to knock it out of the socket itself (no one likes fishing for their bolt in hot oil)

I also usually rock the bike side to side when it stops draining to get that "last" little bit of oil out. (usually oil gets on the pipes, which on start up causes it to smoke.) I have my hose on hand to spray down the pipes when they start to smoke (just in case of fire). But recently been cutting strips of the rags and taping them to the inside of the pipes (where oil tends to drop on) helps out alot IMHO.

just how i do mine though..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Service Manual: Start the engine and let it idle for 3 - 5 minutes. Stop the engine and wait 2 - 3 minutes.

I build troughs with aluminum foil for the oil filter oil to flow down into my catch pan.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Nothing like an oil burn, some bike are better than others for removing the sump plug. Unfortunately CBR's aren't one of them.
Ehh... Wasn't thinking about the oil burning me. More of reminiscing of the headers when it was time to grab the filter on my F3

Quick Reply: Changing oil warm or cold?