General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing fork seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fork seals

Hey guys, I'm looking replacing the fork seals on my cbr and am looking for suggestions as to how I should support the bike while I pull the forks off/ apart. Do you know of any type of lift or stand that would hold the bike and still allow me to pull the forks apart to do the necessary work? thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Default RE: Changing fork seals

From what my friend is telling me (hes done this on an older bike of his) when we replace mine we are going to pull all the fairings off, lift it with a rear stand (or rear and front both) then put a block of wood under the oil pan and lift it with a floor jack. Thats the only way I know how unless you have a front stand that supports the bike underneath the steering stem/bottom triple as opposed to supporting the forks.... hope I helped

Chris

**Edit... I forgot, you can also do this, if you have a sturdy garage with main beams or something to tie onto.... wrap tie downs or rope, or chain(with cushion of course) around your triple tree, then on your rear subframe (passenger pegs?) and secure it to the top of your garage or whatever you can get it to. ratchet it up a bit and viola, you got a REALLY expensive swing (and a way to get at your forks )

Old 09-05-2006, 07:29 AM

Dont take the fairings off, small block of wood and a scissor jack or something similar under the exhaust, dont jack on the bike get someone to put weight on the back to lift the front wheel, then take the jack up.... make sure its on the center stand
After that the Fork seals are easy..

Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 PM

I pull my bike up on an automotive ramp, then have a buddy stack some wook blocks under the headers. Then I slowly back down off the ramp, which sets the bike down on the blocks. Then simply pull the ramp out from under the front tire. When it comes time to pull the bike down just put the ramp back in front of the bike, drive up the ramp and have a friend remove the blocks and your good to go!