General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing back from Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing back from Synthetic

Okay, now I know that I have heard it before, once you go to using synthetic, you can never turn back. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I have a 2000 Yamaha XT225 that I started using synthetic in it right after I got it 4 years ago. The bike has under 2000 miles on it and I should have known better than to use synthetic while the engine was so young…not broke in. Now that it’s time for me to change the oil, I’m really leaning towards getting simple 10w-40 to try and continue to break in the engine where it left off those years ago. So what could be the bad in the situation?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Changing back from Synthetic

[sm=bustedsign.gif]

I think not. Go ahead and use what ever you want. Why on EARTH would you not be able to go back? THat's like saying once you've had soda you can not drink Cool-Aid again. BS!

Is there a reason you think it's not "broken in?" Does it have a ton of blow by? If by breaking in you mean seating the rings.....well if they are not seated you will see plenty of reason to not use Synthetic on a new motor. LOL.

You should be fine.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:39 PM

i agree.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope there isn't a myth that you can't go back to dino after syn.

i am constantly amused by the amount of BS that floats around on the net.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned

The myth was don't go to synth on an old motor with alot of miles that used dino its whole life, but that can be true. When seals get old they used to shrink (not sure about new motors) but the crud kept the motor from leaking. Synthetic will de-crud an old motor and cause leaks. That was the myth I heard.

As far as switching back and forth, I heard that storing a motor with synth in it isn't as good as dino, something about long term corrosion, so winterizing or longer should be done with dino. So I assume that switching back and forth is fine.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Good, kinda figured that there shouldn't be any issues. I didn't hear that myth online, it was word of mouth from numerous people that I know..."old timers". They normally know their ****, but they probably think that a woman can't get knocked up if she's on top either LOL. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well...i guess it goes to the partial truth vs. absolute truth.
synthetic properties makes it an awesome lubricant...so as fryer said, in a motor with old crud, worn seals, etc. it can loosen and/or seep past the seals, etc.

on a vehicle that's been running on dino forever, i would just keep it at that though...

case in point, my buddy's R1 was downed. had a crack in the stator cover, but never leaked. he switched to synthetic, leaked like a ****, then switched back...stopped the leak....hmmmmmmmmmmm.