General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changed spark plugs and air filter now bike wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed spark plugs and air filter now bike wont idle

I have a cbr f3 1995 and i just changed the spark plugs and put in a new air filter and now i cant get it to idle.. at first the electric starter clicked then just stopped, it would just make the lights on the dash go dim and make no noise then it worked all of a sudden and the engine would turn over but wont idle. I also didnt fully connect a tube to the airbox thats under it in the top left corner if that affects anything. Any input is appreciated and ill put a video up later if that would help

Old 06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

it does, you need all of the vacuum tubes for the bike to run properly. 9/10 when you do something to the bike and then it doesn't run, its because of what you did to it. you either pinched a vacuum line or didn't hook something up correctly.

when i had my f3, it happened more than once that putting the tank on there would pinch a vacuum line. you just have to make sure everything is routed right and hooked up right

Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 PM

Oh trust me i know i messed something up lol, i was leaning towards that line to the airbox or i was thinking i didnt tighten the spark plugs well enough since i didnt use a torque wrench but ill figure it out soon hopefully, thanks for the help

Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM

no problem man, it's no big deal, it's a tight fit. even when i hooked everything up, there were times i'd sneak a peak underneath - see a pinched hose, and have to take the tank back up and try to un-kink the hoses. it just happens on the f3. no biggie

Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM

Yea that hose under the airbox was a PITA to get on but i got it and it idles, i just hope it stays on haha.. i had to change the plugs because it seemed like it was only running on like 3 cylinders and the exhaust noise changed. One of the plugs had like a deformation on the end where it sparks so im thinking that was the problem just for future reference to anyone

Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 PM

Well it idles a lot better now and seems to rev up fine even in low rpms but the exhaust noise is different and it bothers me. any insight on this would help a lot id rather not have honda kill me just to look at it and fix it

Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by johnk16
Well it idles a lot better now and seems to rev up fine even in low rpms but the exhaust noise is different and it bothers me. any insight on this would help a lot id rather not have honda kill me just to look at it and fix it
It sounds like you could have a hole in the exhaust pipes, collector box or the silencer, or there could be a leak from the clamp where the silencer joins the pipes. Whilst wearing a thick glove or using a rag cloth, block the end of the silencer with your hand and listen for any leaks from the system. It will be evident if there any leaks using this method. I had to replace the exhaust pipes on my 2002 CBR 600 F1 for the same reason. My collector box had a few holes in it and it sounded quite rough. I replaced the pipes with stainless steel ones at a cost of £169.00. Made a big difference and I don't have to worry about them rotting! Keep us informed as to how you get on.

Last edited by highwaypatrol; 06-29-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM

it sounds different? sounds different how?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 PM

my best way to describe it was it sounded more like a harley, i thought a leak too but it didnt have power in low rpms and it didnt have as much power in the lower rpms.. i figured it out yesterday though and it was the fuel pump, im doing the old gravity feed trick till i can find another one for the right price. i guess the pump just wasnt putting out enough psi to push gas to all the cylinders but shes running great now

Old 06-30-2013, 05:16 PM

as much power in the higher rpms**

Quick Reply: changed spark plugs and air filter now bike wont idle