General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

change in sound, backfire, sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change in sound, backfire, sluggish

Leading up to these problems the bike was running fine just could tell it needed plugs. So today i chaged the plugs and replaced them with the ones listed in the owners manual. hit the idle adjustment a little and threw it off. so took about 10 mins and got it idling good. butttt heres the problems now

Sound has drasticly changed, a lot lower tone, reminds me of my old ninja 500..

try to take off and its VERRYYYY sluggish spitting and sputtering and when it gets close to cutting off it will backfire through the exhaust, and also once right when you try to restart it.

All plugs should be firing as it runs smooth.

I have two guesses, maybe the splash of 87 octane i put in it because she was bone dry.

air box lid looks like it could be leaking a little air.

any input would be highly appreciated, i was planning on taking it to the drag strip tomorrow... but its not looking too good now.

Pulled out the plugs, two are clean, two are light brown.

Before video.. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=60557428

now after...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=60557485

Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM

From watching the video, you definately have a plug or two fouled. thats why is sounds like a twin. Its not running on all cylinders.

I doubt your gas had anything to do with it. the worst case for that would be some spark knock, but it would still run fine, just have a possiblity of spark knock under load.

Either the plugs arent gapped correctly, bad plug brand..ie, run only NGK iridium plugs in it. or you didnt have the plug caps secured to the spark plug.

since two of them are clean, those are probably the ones that are fouled out. they are clean because they are soaked in gas. Best case for a quick fix is to put your old plugs back in until you can get a new set of plugs. Once they foul, they never run right again. At least thats been my experience. If you are running NKG's, then buy two new ones and call it good since they are still basically new. If your not running NGK iridiums, then get some and you will be all set.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM

i have now narrowed it down to a fuel problem. all wires are sending spark and good and correctly gapped plaugs are being used.

i can crank it and pull the two right side plugs (sitting on the bike) and no change in sound or idle. but squirt a bit of carb cleaner in each carb and idle goes up. so im thinking maybe fuel filter?

Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought (as I have done this myself on the odd occasion) but have you installed the plug leads on the right plugs?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 AM

replaced fuel filter, and those two leads were on the wrong plugs. oops feel like a dumba**. but she runs good again.