General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain/sprocket wear & tear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain/sprocket wear & tear?

I've been searching around about sprockets/chains & Ican't find a clear answer on what is bad other than if there is uneven wear. How do you tell if the sprockets & chain are shot. I plan on changing my rear tire soon and I don't know if I should replace the chain/sprocket (I have -1+2 might just go back to stock seems how it messes with mileage). So yeah if someone could tell me what normal & uneven wear looks like on the chain & sprocket that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I ♥ CBRF
Default RE: Chain/sprocket wear & tear?

Sprocket teeth are curved one direction or another,they are filed down and not fitting more then half way into the linksor the chain is slipping...Time to get a new one.As to the chain it depends: O-ring =is missing some rings or shows severesigns of rust and is kinked or really tight inmost parts of the chain....Replace it. I have not had to change my DID 12K+ miles so cannot even tell you what that chain looks like when its worn down. Anyone else?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 AM

Maybe if you took some closeup pix and posted them someone could better help you...

Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM

Yeah I know I need to get some pics... I'm kinda sorta new to all this, only 1 season of street ridingunder my belt lol. I just bought an 03 cbr600rr used to own a f4i, The best I can describeis the chain looks good, no rollers missing no damge vissible. Itjust need tobe tightened up a bit.as for the sprocket thetip has a slight ( shape at the tip not pointing out but in. it is a blackvortex sprocket. I have no idea of what it looks like newbut the guy at the shop told me it was gone& soon after he gives me his #and says he can do it at his homeway cheaper than the shop. kinda suspicious to me. but who knows he might be trying to help me out.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Oh yeah the bike has had 2 owners the 1st did the -1+2 around 3k and the bike only has 11k on it. So in my opinion, the guy is trying to make me worry. I wish I still had my f4i to compare lol. I'm sure it's fine though besides the ( shape at the tip of the teeth. but no they arenot worn down as far as I can tell, mind you I'm no expert lol..

Old 07-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you find yourself needing to tighten the chain weekly, time to replace.
if you notice kinks in the chain or tight spots that won't go away, time to replace.
you should be seeing around 12K for a 525...with 520, a bit less...also depends on how hard you ride and how well you take care of your chain.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:38 PM

If the sprocket is aluminum (well, really any metal, but aluminum will wear faster) and the shape on one side of the valley/tooth is different than the shape on the other side, I would say that you need to replace it. I'm sure if you go to a sprocket website they will have photos of what a sprocket should look like and what it will look like when getting worn.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM

do they really make aluminum sprockets? that's funny, because when i read vortex, i thought aluminum. that's surprising to me though.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:59 AM

I'm pretty sure I'm fine I bumped into some old harley guy who also has a R1 & he said it was fine. They are a little worn but have a long ways to go. So all I'm gonna have to worry about is a tire & some new leathers!!! Also I have a side question that doesn't deal with sprockets whats up with the sweat band around the front brake fluid. does the suneffect the brake fluid or what?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM

i met some guy with this hacky sack lookin cover on his r1's brake fluid reservoir and when i asked what it was for, he just told me it was for decoration. my reservoir is anodized black with a screw lid, so i don't have that option.

Quick Reply: Chain/sprocket wear & tear?