General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chain maintenance questions

VERY nice.. I like what I see, TBFGHOST thanks really good research n experience!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Dupont ~ Good stuff. Lowes has it for like $6.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:49 PM

You have the most important and basic part of it down, your at least doing some chain maintenance. I know several riders who do little more than spray some wd-40 on it time to time. All the above advice is good advice, everybody has a preffered method they swear by. Me, ride for a few minutes/miles to warm the chain up and get all the gunk flowing, then I clean the chain with kerosene and a toothbrush, wipe dry, then use Honda Chain lube/spray with Moly. Moly is short for molybdenum, its an anti-friction compound that binds to the surface it is applied to. Example: Moly is used in a wide variety of bullets, as bullets coated with moly have much less friction and fouling properties as one without, the result is that the bore doesn't get fouled up as much and cleaning is less frequent. less of a chore. I use them allot in all my reloading. Anyway, when I saw Honda had a chain lube out with moly, and seeing how moly worked well with other products, I got a can and will never use anything else. It doesn't drip or fling off, but also is not clingy, so it doesn't attract and hold onto grime and crud like allot of other thick lubricants.Plus, its around the price of other products, like 5-7 dollars depending on where you get it. As long as your taking care of your chain you'll be fine, this is just my preffered method.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Incognito

+1 on the Dupont ~ Good stuff. Lowes has it for like $6.

Dude, I whish my chain n sprocket would look that clean , I guess its gonna take a couple more cleanings before it gets to that point. nice work

Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM

I have another question now. Since it seams that mychain has never had any real maintenance since it was probably made in 1999 (Dec '98), and if I wanted to start fresh and cool with one of those chains that are colored What details or specs do I need to look for in a new chain? I've heard of "Number of links" "O-rings"...any advice, thanks again

Old 01-07-2009, 01:28 PM

....check out Driven....they have the colored chains...and the chains the colorsare offered will be above you needs so don'tworry about too much of which one to choose....I know my 03600RR takes a 525 chain and 110 links. 525 is the size...the three most popular sizes are 520, 252, 530.Just remember you can'tput a 520 chain on a525 sprocket....you need to keep everything matched.....

Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: scastillo13

Good info Jules, Im having trouble finding the "hypoid gear oil" locally, do u think another brand with the same weight 80/90 work also??
Hypoid is not a brand name. It is a type of gear, and uses gear lube. If you want to feel special about what you buy go to a marina or boat shop and buy some lower unit lube.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM

I blacked out my whole bike (04 600RR) and got a black HK 520 chain and Driven black anondized aluminum sprocket kit off motomummy.com...

http://www.motomummy.com/store/home.php?cat=270

For easy chain manintenance, I use something called a grunge brush. If you have a rear stand, you can clean your chain regularly and easily with some chain cleaner (Iuse the Motorex 611 Cleaner)and this brush: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...Set614555.html

I found this pic ofmy drive train from last winter... you can see all the lube on the chain...

Name:  100_2592.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  131.1 KB

Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM

nice, I like the "blacked out" look, thats a lot of lub (well looks like it from here) does that stuff fly off?

Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: scastillo13

nice, I like the "blacked out" look, thats a lot of lub (well looks like it from here) does that stuff fly off?
All lub flys off

Quick Reply: Chain maintenance questions