General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain lube?

Alright this probley gets asked a lot but what chain lube do you guys use? I have been using motul off road chain lube but it slings a lot and I get a huge build up of grease that drips down on my fairing by the kickstand. Any idea if I'm using to much or could it just be the type of chain lube I use? Any recommendations on a different chain lube would be great also. Thanks guys.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM

How much are you using and how often?

Modern o-ring and x-ring chains don't need nearly as much lube as older style chains.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:28 PM

I recently starting using pb blaster dry lube. Seems to work well. Not sure if anyone else has experience with that.

In the past I used to use maxima or castrol chain wax.

Just an FYI, many people I have talked to use nothing but WD40 with nothing but good results.

Last edited by IDoDirt; 08-25-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Just an FYI, many people I have talked to use nothing but WD40 with nothing but good results.
For us skateboarders, we don't use WD40 to lube the wheel's bearings because even though it cleans and lubes well, it attracts too much dirt and debris to be effective, so I don't use it on the chain. JMO.

I just went to the motorcycle shop and picked up some (the writing in swedish) cleaner and lube. I'm sure it's pretty much all the same.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:41 PM

i use atm muc off dry lube but as above have found the wonderful wd40 to do a good job. A combination of the 2 gets any kinks out of an old mistreated chain.

mat

Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by jbrandona`
For us skateboarders, we don't use WD40 to lube the wheel's bearings because even though it cleans and lubes well, it attracts too much dirt and debris to be effective, so I don't use it on the chain. JMO.

I just went to the motorcycle shop and picked up some (the writing in swedish) cleaner and lube. I'm sure it's pretty much all the same.
I am pretty sure that skate board bearings (if anything like inline bearings) are not sealed, which is why WD40 is horrible for them.

O ring or X ring chains are sealed. Some people don't ever use any lube on their chains because pretty much everything I have ever seen will attract dirt to some extent, they clean the chain often and just let the lube inside the sealed rings to do its job.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:59 PM

I am pretty sure that skate board bearings (if anything like inline bearings) are not sealed, which is why WD40 is horrible for them.

O ring or X ring chains are sealed. Some people don't ever use any lube on their chains because pretty much everything I have ever seen will attract dirt to some extent, they clean the chain often and just let the lube inside the sealed rings to do its job.
they are but poorly, so +1

Old 03-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use chain wax, its way cleaner than chain lube.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Petty much what I was talking about. Modern chains are pretty awesome. Even cheaper ones hold up fairly well.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i just bought HP CHAIN LUBE WITH "MOLY" picked it up from honda. havent used it yet but i hear good things about it.

Quick Reply: Chain lube?