General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain Cutter/Riveter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Cutter/Riveter?

Anybody ever rent a chain cutter/riveter to replace your chain?

I'm gonna replace my 530 chain (30k miles on it) on my 1000F and I don't want to buy one if I can help it.

Any ideas of where to rent one?

-Del

Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Default RE: Chain Cutter/Riveter?

Cut the chain off with any old cut off wheel. Heck, you can get a cheapo electric grinder with a pack of wheels for damn near nothing at someplace like Harbor Freight. If you use the clip type masterlink, you can install it w/o any special tools. Just make sure you install the clip in the right direction so that it doesn't jettison during your ride. The rivet type links will require the purchase of a tool unless you can bribe someone at your local shop. A 6 pack of beer might do the trick if you know the guys. I don't know of any shops around here that will loan out a tool.

Buying the right tools isn't so bad. First, you will save money on labor for EVERY single job you do. Second, you learn more about your bike and you can make sure the job is done right the first time. Third, you will have a great sense of satisfaction from working on your own bike.

I vote for the purchase of tools and do the work yourself if at all possible.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM

Well I've been looking and it appears that most folks like the Motion Pro or RK tools. They all go for about $89 + shipping.

Cutting the chain is not an issue, rivetting it correctly is. I have plenty of tools that will slice the chain like warm summer butter.

As for working on the bike, I'm the first to step up. I don't let just anyone touch her. That's why she looks just like she did 12 years ago new. I just hate paying for a tool that I know I may only use twice or three times at the most if I'm lucky.

A chain tool isn't as useful as say a NAIL GUN! Yeah BABY!!! I wanna nail something!! Errr... Sorry... Got carried away.. [sm=drooldude.gif]

Anyway, I love tools.. I'll have to watch them on eBay and see if I can snag one for a good deal.

-Del

Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Delmustator

They all go for about $89 + shipping.
Hey Del, it's only money. You will make more... Besides, you'll just **** that $ away on something else anyhow. [8D]

Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 AM

Cuts into my drinking and partying budget... [:@]

-Del

Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the motion pro years ago -- worked fine for a while but just wasn't stout enough for all the chains I went through. So I fabbed on up in the shop out of 1" cold rolled plate steel. It's waaaaaay stout enough now!![8D]

Old 05-03-2005, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

I bought the motion pro years ago -- worked fine for a while but just wasn't stout enough for all the chains I went through. So I fabbed on up in the shop out of 1" cold rolled plate steel. It's waaaaaay stout enough now!![8D]

Care to share how one might do that???? shane_workman@insightbb.com

Old 05-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

The 'how to' is easy -- just copy their design using stronger material. The motion pro actually bent -- my current model will not bend. Finding the material is the difficult part.

[IMG]local://upfiles/117/D3275FD10C8D4563939C90CC5462277C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-03-2005, 08:55 PM

Care to fab some more up for us biker brothers? If it's worthy, I'll pay yeah for your efforts.

I take it that you re-used the tips from your Motion tool. I know replacement tips and such can be ordered seperately.

Note: Too bad I don't have a CNC machine. I'd fab up the frame in a jiffy.

-Del

Old 05-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Ya, you'd have to get the inserts -- I'm loaded up at work this week ... if I don't remember hit me up next week and I'll do my best to make something up for you. I didn't use CNC -- saw, torch, drills and taps.

Quick Reply: Chain Cutter/Riveter?