General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cbrforum, convince me not to go straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cbrforum, convince me not to go straight pipe

ORIGINAL: Showtime_III

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

i beg to differ. i just heard a 636 straight pipe today, and it sounded like sex
to you maybe, a I4 sound like shyt with a straight pipe to me n most I now.

The performance lost mentioned tho you cant tune out tho, a free flowing exhaust kills bottom end plain and simple. The only way to get it back it to redo internals like the cams, timing, and head work. Or keep an exhaust with back pressure on it LIKE it was designed.
werent the 02 f4i's not detuned? so why would it sound like ****?

and how much would i be losing in performance on the bottom end?
the way 1k ppl moan the 600s dont have any bottom end to start with (Im happy with mine). The sounding like shyt is IMO, I heard mine in person when I was messing with a shortened can, and it sound like pure grade A shyt! I didnt really care for the sound of the shorty can either, so I sold it n bought a CF can n reworked it. Most enigines built for bottom end pull have some kind of exhaust with back pressure to help built it. Unless of course the power they want to use is in the upper rpm range, ie dragsters, monster trucks etc.

An I dont think the F4is were detuned, just geared higher than the F4, and then the 600RR was geared even higher. Another reason why the -1/+2 520 gear change is so popular.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detuned? What do you mean? And it would definitely be a noticeable difference in bottom end. Also as playfulgod mentioned, remapping won't help, you need backpressure plain and simple.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 PM

i beg to differ. i just heard a 636 straight pipe today, and it sounded like sex

The performance lost mentioned tho you cant tune out tho, a free flowing exhaust kills bottom end plain and simple. The only way to get it back it to redo internals like the cams, timing, and head work. Or keep an exhaust with back pressure on it LIKE it was designed.

the way 1k ppl moan the 600s dont have any bottom end to start with (Im happy with mine). The sounding like shyt is IMO, I heard mine in person when I was messing with a shortened can, and it sound like pure grade A shyt! I didnt really care for the sound of the shorty can either, so I sold it n bought a CF can n reworked it. Most enigines built for bottom end pull have some kind of exhaust with back pressure to help built it. Unless of course the power they want to use is in the upper rpm range, ie dragsters, monster trucks etc.

An I dont think the F4is were detuned, just geared higher than the F4, and then the 600RR was geared even higher. Another reason why the -1/+2 520 gear change is so popular.
people were telling me that when the rr came out they started to detune the f4i

Old 11-06-2008, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jutsin

Detuned? What do you mean? And it would definitely be a noticeable difference in bottom end. Also as playfulgod mentioned, remapping won't help, you need backpressure plain and simple.
so what rpm would i need to be so i wouldnt miss the back pressure

and yeah, detuned. kinda like how the 600r is a detuned version of the r6

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM

the 600rr a detune r6?? thats laughable lol.

on a F4i over 7-8000rpm

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 PM

the 600rr a detune r6?? thats laughable lol.

on a F4i over 7-8000rpm
no, i said a 600r (yamaha) is a detuned version of the r6 (yamaha)

Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 PM

they dont know wtf then are talking about then. When the RR came out they went back to a banana seat on the F4i, other than that only what the EPA n DOT required them to do to it, which would have been done to ALL bikes across the board.

OHHHH I see you lost post too. but no not so with the F4i. The RR is a completely different beast.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 PM

f4i is not 'detuned' as far as I know, otherwise everyone and their mother would be having them remapped.

600r is not a 'detuned' version of the r6 either, they are different engines, r6 motor has a bigger bore/smaller stroke so it can rev higher, while keeping the displacement the same, as well as higher compression pistons.

And I have no idea what rpm you have to keep it at, I would imagine it would hurt performance all the way to redline, but either way revving the **** out of it wouldn't help you when leaving stop lights, and probably wouldn't be too good on the bike.

If you are dead set on straight pipes then go for it, it's your bike, but you asked us to convince you not to go straight pipe so that's what I'm trying to do. Personally even if it didn't hurt performance I don't like obnoxiously loud bikes, but if you do then go with whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 PM

they dont know wtf then are talking about then. When the RR came out they went back to a banana seat on the F4i, other than that only what the EPA n DOT required them to do to it, which would have been done to ALL bikes across the board.

OHHHH I see you lost post too. but no not so with the F4i. The RR is a completely different beast.
wasnt the 02 model f4i's hondas super sport 600 during those years?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:28 PM

f4i is not 'detuned' as far as I know, otherwise everyone and their mother would be having them remapped.

600r is not a 'detuned' version of the r6 either, they are different engines, r6 motor has a bigger bore/smaller stroke so it can rev higher, while keeping the displacement the same, as well as higher compression pistons.

And I have no idea what rpm you have to keep it at, I would imagine it would hurt performance all the way to redline, but either way revving the **** out of it wouldn't help you when leaving stop lights, and probably wouldn't be too good on the bike.

If you are dead set on straight pipes then go for it, it's your bike, but you asked us to convince you not to go straight pipe so that's what I'm trying to do. Personally even if it didn't hurt performance I don't like obnoxiously loud bikes, but if you do then go with whatever floats your boat I guess.
i know you are just trying to convince me, and you guys are doing a good job at it. i just had my heart set of getting the straight pipe sound. and they dont make motogp style slips on for the f4i

Quick Reply: Cbrforum, convince me not to go straight pipe