General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR600f 1996 Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i need to replace the 4 gaskets on the exhaust Manifold and was wondering the best place to source the parts?
Also so i can use it for future reference when shopping for parts. Have checked ebay and M and P so far

Cheers

I am going to be replacing my gaskets on the exhaust manifold and was wondering if there was any tricks n tips to doing it.
The reason i am changing them is because when i brought the bike the garage said they will need changing in a couple of months or so and that they would do it under warranty ( which was great ) . the ticking sound didnt bother me to start off with but now its all i can hear. I rang the garage to book it in and they cant do it for another 4 weeks, and i cannot wait that long lol. So decided i would change them myself and i have never done it before so figured it would be good to learn. seems a fairly straight forward job, but like any job there are always easier ways of doing things........... so was just wondering what you guys think.

1996 CBR600

Cheers

Last edited by IDoDirt; 03-17-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I'm not sure about places in the UK for getting parts at good prices. For me, this place has been about the best. Here is the Muffler diagram for the 1996 CBR 600F3 which is what your model is called here in the US. The good thing is that the part you're wanting to replace, if I understand you correctly is item #2 in that diagram. Even at full retail, they're not expensive.

As for replacing them, it's not a difficult job. Naturally removing the fairing would need to be done. The radiator usually just needs to be unbolted so that it can be swung out of the way. If you haven't already done so, do a search for the manual for your bike. It will have the procedure there. I think the most troublesome part will be getting the header bolts to come loose. Figure they've been on there since 1996. Maybe the night before you do it, soak them with some type of Liquid Wrench or other penetrating oil to help loosen them up.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah got the manual for it. will have a look for the guide on doing it. But yes it is part #2 and they are not very expensive which is good.
The header bolts should be ok as the garage i brought it off said they had the header off prior to me picking it up to try and stop the ticking but because they didnt have a new set of gaskets they had to put the old ones back.
I have ordered the parts from Wemoto so hopefully should be here by the end of the week (fingers crossed). then i will give it a go.
So its just about creating a bit more space around the headers to do the job. hopefully get a nice day next week to get it done.