General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR600 will not start...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600 will not start...

I bought my 1999 CBR600 two years ago. The first year I had no problems with it until the end of the season when it refused to start. I garaged it over the winter and then the next year the guy who I bought it from got it started. he said all he needed to do was clean the fuel lines and it fired right up. Ran pretty well for the majority of the year although there were a few times when it had trouble starting up. At the end of the season it got cold for a few weeks and the bike sat. When I went to ride it again I could not get it to start and I garaged it for winter.

Fast forward to today. Pulled it out and as expected it wouldn't start. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump kick on and when I go to start it, it just cranks. The guy who got it started last year has since moved away. I figured before I took it somewhere I would do what I could to try to get it to start. I really do not have any mechanical know how but I am able to follow instructions. I wanna start by cleaning out the lines and checking the fuel filter.

I took the tank off this evening with no trouble. Before I continue though I wouldn't mind some advice on what to do and what to check. General how to clean the lines and checking the filter would be appreciated. As well as any advice on what you think the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Unleaded fuel is notorious for evaporating if left in a bike for too long. It usually goes bad in the carb float bowls. Try draining the carb float bowls and replenish with fresh fuel and see if that helps. I had a similar problem with my 1990 Harley Davidson 1200 sportster and I always had to drain the float bowl down and turn the fuel on again, before it would start if I hadn't used the bike for a couple of weeks or so. Worth a try!

Originally Posted by blu_by_yu
I bought my 1999 CBR600 two years ago. The first year I had no problems with it until the end of the season when it refused to start. I garaged it over the winter and then the next year the guy who I bought it from got it started. he said all he needed to do was clean the fuel lines and it fired right up. Ran pretty well for the majority of the year although there were a few times when it had trouble starting up. At the end of the season it got cold for a few weeks and the bike sat. When I went to ride it again I could not get it to start and I garaged it for winter.

Fast forward to today. Pulled it out and as expected it wouldn't start. When I turn the key I hear the fuel pump kick on and when I go to start it, it just cranks. The guy who got it started last year has since moved away. I figured before I took it somewhere I would do what I could to try to get it to start. I really do not have any mechanical know how but I am able to follow instructions. I wanna start by cleaning out the lines and checking the fuel filter.

I took the tank off this evening with no trouble. Before I continue though I wouldn't mind some advice on what to do and what to check. General how to clean the lines and checking the filter would be appreciated. As well as any advice on what you think the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM

just read your post again and it made me wonder just how fast your engine is cranking over? As I reported in a similar thread the battery has to be in tip top condition and fully charged to start the bike. If the engine is cranking over slowly but not starting it is because most of the voltage from the battery is being used up cranking and not much left to produce a good spark at the plugs. Make sure you have between 13.5-14.2 volts across the battery terminals.