General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR600 F2 performance issues after battery drain HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600 F2 performance issues after battery drain HELP!

Hey all,

I recently left my key on the on setting in the ignition without realizing it and drained the battery completely! no lights no nothing. I needed to get home and ive push started this baby before so i tried to give it a shot, but with no power, i wasnt optimistic. i tried it 4 or 5 times with nothing happening. but there was a loud noise like i was braking something..? the first time i dont think the engine turned at all. then after that it got easier and easier.

so i called someone to come jump me. after getting it jumped, the lights were all flickering so i took her for a ride. this is when i noticed that i couldnt get good performance at all above 5k rpms.

this used to be a track bike so im unsure about upgraded performance parts or anything like that. the carbs are totally clean (a summer project). and prior to the battery drain it ran GREAT!! anyway, so i took it home and turned it off and turn it back on immediately, but the lights just dimmed out. so i decided to trickle charge it. i left it on the trickle for around 9 hours and i turned it on this morning and rode it. the lights werent flickering but im still having a hard time getting good performance over 5 k. its like theres not enough spark and its missing. the exhaust sounds different about 5k then it used to as well. i used to be able to just give it a flick and id be around 10 or 12. now i have to hold it down until i get to like 7 or 8 and it makes this deep exhaust sound, not like my bike at all. the guy who jumped me used a jumb box btw.

I thought this could have something to do with the charged battery but now im not so sure. i didnt fully trickle charge it but atleast it will start now.. is there anything i should look for? could i have fried my fuel pump? i noticed after the guy jumped me my tachometer was acting SUPER funny. it was going down to zero when i revved and said it was at 1k when it sounded like 4k. then after a while it acted normal again.

Please help! Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like its not charging...fully charge the battery and check and see if its charging..it should be atleast 13.00 VDC

Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

poor performance is due to no spark in #1. clearly the coil is good as i get spark in #4. I was able to disconnect and reconnect the plug wire while it was running and she started warming up normal and exhaust sounded normal. then maybe 2 minutes of riding in it cut out again. i could feel it cut out. when i got to my location i felt the #1 header and she was warm but not HOT. i could squeze her without getting a burn. it was cooler than it was when i felt it start firing again.

It sounds like i have a fouled spark plug.. what could this be from? im pretty sure everything is tweeked to factory specs but im unsure of how long ago i changed the plugs. I think the guy that sold these to me gave me a different type because he said the ones he gave me run hotter and would increase performance.. i can only assume that could also cause them to foul out right? was it just coincidence or could it have to do with the jump box? or are these events unrelated? i did trickle charge the battery and its fine now. just no spark in # 1..

someone thought i could have flooded my cylinders and bent a rod trying to push start or snapped a ring.. but this is a vacuum spring diaphram system and its NEVER flooded before.

on a side note, there was no gas in the tank because it stranded me later.. lol guess i left her on res after refilling before. what do you guys think?