General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR600 F1 Should I Buy ?? Opinions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600 F1 Should I Buy ?? Opinions Please.

Hi looking to buy this F1 cbr600 but know nothing about them really....

$1400NZD dollars so $1250USDapprox....

Looks tidy 125,000kms...... looks to be fairly cheap compared to other stuff on local market....

The real question is what can i do to this as far as tweaks and upgrades???

what f2 stuff can fit it...??
can i fit the twin round headlight front to it??
what should i look for as far as wear and tear..?

Anyones opinion who has experience with them would be much appreciated...

Thanks all.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM

wow the F1 is really old man, You can find the F2, and the 900rr for a little more than your looking to spend. I can only assume the F1 motor and such has been used and abused.( lifter noise/etc ) Its prolly a 5 speed which will really suck on the highways as they will sound like its high rpm just to go 60-80 mph. If this is a starter bike for you it could be a good start. Not sure about your area but most 1990-2000 bikes are going alot cheaper anymore, shop around, test drive them don't buy the first one you find. The older it is the more problems you will have.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

80k miles is pretty high for a bike. It looks to have been taken care of. If it's
a one owner, who has all the maintainence records, it might bear a serious look.

At that milage, you're looking for almost all of the bearings needing replacement,
steering head/wheels/swingarm. Check for leaks in the front seals on the forks.
How do the hoses look? (cracks/stiffened). Have a compression check done on
the cylinders (that's a long time on the rings/valve-seats).

Also, check the coolant level/look (brown/sludgy?). Inspect brake fluid level/appearance as well. Pad wear on the calipers.
Pull some of the side-fairing pieces, looking for crack/repairs/off-color on the
back-side showing repair/replacement of the body-work (indicating it's been wrecked).

Look at the wiring harness, particularly for patches/splices add-on connectors,etc.
Lots of amatuers create issues with shoddy work on lights/switches, etc. (not to mention storage and mice/squirels nesting/chewing).

Hope this gives you a direction, Ern.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:10 PM

it looks good but for that money you could easily find an f2 or a newer bike which will be easier to find parts for both oem replacement or aftermarket upgrades.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
wow the F1 is really old man, You can find the F2, and the 900rr for a little more than your looking to spend. I can only assume the F1 motor and such has been used and abused.( lifter noise/etc ) Its prolly a 5 speed which will really suck on the highways as they will sound like its high rpm just to go 60-80 mph. If this is a starter bike for you it could be a good start. Not sure about your area but most 1990-2000 bikes are going alot cheaper anymore, shop around, test drive them don't buy the first one you find. The older it is the more problems you will have.
The local market is pretty crap, prices have been driven up buy high gas prices and higher demand for economical vehicles.... Also the 2nd hand market is dominated by the local auction site and selection is minimal really..
.. Been looking casually for a month or two on a range of models... cbr400's Fzr gsx-r vfr400....

most early 90's cbr400 and vfrs start at $1600NZD and go to $3000... so this seems to be a deal... definatly would like to go for something newer but on a budget at the moment.... a 2000 F4 did sell for $4000nz last night which looked good ..

Yea in a way it is a starter bike... had a dirty vt250 honda spada for a while back in the day.... was brought up on a farm and did motorcross till my early 20's, so i am not a newbee. (30 now so having the mid life crisus hahah)....

there bugger all 900rr's forsale plus they're too big for me... I'm a Lightweight, 70kg so the 600 would be more me.

Thanks for the info i'll make sure i have a good look before i fork over any cash...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
it looks good but for that money you could easily find an f2 or a newer bike which will be easier to find parts for both oem replacement or aftermarket upgrades.
hey thanks... yea i see there seems to be nothing around for the f1 as far as uprages etc... all starts with the f2........ local market is pretty crap (new Zealand) .. bike shops stock nothing 2nd hand really.... local auction site does all the trade pretty much.... ( Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me ) .. have a look if u got nothing better to do... you'll see there not much....

thanks for the input...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
80k miles is pretty high for a bike. It looks to have been taken care of. If it's
a one owner, who has all the maintainence records, it might bear a serious look.

At that milage, you're looking for almost all of the bearings needing replacement,
steering head/wheels/swingarm. Check for leaks in the front seals on the forks.
How do the hoses look? (cracks/stiffened). Have a compression check done on
the cylinders (that's a long time on the rings/valve-seats).

Also, check the coolant level/look (brown/sludgy?). Inspect brake fluid level/appearance as well. Pad wear on the calipers.
Pull some of the side-fairing pieces, looking for crack/repairs/off-color on the
back-side showing repair/replacement of the body-work (indicating it's been wrecked).

Look at the wiring harness, particularly for patches/splices add-on connectors,etc.
Lots of amatuers create issues with shoddy work on lights/switches, etc. (not to mention storage and mice/squirels nesting/chewing).

Hope this gives you a direction, Ern.
cheers mate... that'll definatly be a big help...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Default f4

2000 f4 .. sold for $4000nzd ($3300USD approx)

Had a new fairing and few things with it... had been dropped a couple times going off damage,,,

full listing link is below for more photos.
Honda CBR 600f 2000 | Trade Me

thanks

Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Dam u guys, now i've got a hard on for that blue F4 carbi above.... just dont have the money..

Quick Reply: CBR600 F1 Should I Buy ?? Opinions Please.