General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR F3 help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR F3 help!!!!

k so here is the story. I took my engine out and painted the frame. while the engine was out me and a buddy took the head off and took out the valves and cleaned, then we decided to port the head so we only shaved minor off on the intake side and on the exhauhst. we put everything back together and reinstalled the engine but the bike wouldnt start so i went over the bike and relized the timing was off so fixed that, then i met a guy that wanted to take a look at it and he sayed he got a tool from snap on to look inside engine and saw that an intake valve was bad. WTF do i do for a low budget. Find a valve from someone?? get a valve job and replace all valves or just a new motor??? whats wrong with that valve then is it bent???

Old 04-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like crap to me however you could have bent a valve depending how far out of time you were. I would like to see this tool he has. the only way your gonna know if you have a bent valve is to pull the head. Check your compression. If the valves are not sealing now possibly due to the port job you did, you will have low or no compression and it wont run.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

the port job we did was minor, we just did the openings we didnt even go close to the valves. would it be better to just look around for a stock valve or upgrade to like titanium valves. where would i find valves for that old of a bike

Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could do a leak down test which would give you a really good idea where the compression leak is (if there is one). Of course the tool to do a leak down test is a little spendy... I am sure someone one here has made one up on a budget.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM

I would try to get a new valve from a dealer.

Id like to know how he determined the valve was bad.

If your timing was off far enough to do damage to one valve, it would have done damage to all of them. Im not sure if these are interferance engines or not, so the timing may not have messed anything up.

Either way, you will have to remove your head again to replace the valve, you might as well just remove it, and do a thorough check of all of your valves at that time.

Of course, this is all dependant on this guy actually saw a bad valve.

Does the bike sputter or anything?

Did it make any odd noises when you cranked it over the first time?

get ahold of that guy and ask him exactly whats wrong with the valve.

If it turns out you do have bent valves, I would check ebay and just buy another complete head. Anywhere from 50-200 bucks for a complete head.

Last edited by justasquid; 05-01-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

he used a bore scope. the timing was off i think 180 deg. He said when he was looking at the valves one of the exhaust valves wouldnt open. it would turn over but it just wouldnt start. at one point it shot out a flame ball.
can you swap out a newer head on it like a rr??
how do these heads look??? i dont know much about motors??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by T rick; 05-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Banned

he said the exhaust valve wont close!

Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

bizzzump

Old 05-02-2009, 09:00 PM

If its only one valve, then I might be inclined to change just that valve. But one bent valve isnt going to stop it from running. It wouldnt run right, but it would run. I would suspect that if this is an interferance engine, and your timing being off damaged the one valve, then they all could be bad.

Seeing that it is backfiring, you may still not be correct on timing. Being 180 deg's off will not damage the valves. Being 180 off just opens the valves 180 degrees off, which is still with the piston on the bdc, so there wouldnt be a chance of the piston hitting the valves.

If it really is only one valve, then I would just change that valve. You will probably have to grind the valve, but you know of someone with a tool, its pretty easy. Or have a shop grind it in. Of course, then you can run into labor cost that are more expensive that just a replacement head.

Or, the other alternative is to just buy another head. I would definately stick to ebay stores that have really good feedback with a high number of feedbacks. The second or third one of list is the ones I would go for. the first one in your list is for an F2 and I think they are different.

If it was me, I would just buy a replacement head. then, fix the head you have and keep it for a spare, or sell it to recoop some of the cost.