General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR 600 F2 problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 600 F2 problem

Hi all, new to this forum hope someone can help me.

I brought a CBR 600 F2 in November last year, since buying it I have had a few problems.

I replaced the Battery in December as the bike had not been used as much as it should have been by one of the owners so the battery wasn't in tip top condition.

About a month ago I had to have the regulator rectifier replaced along with another new battery as the old r/r had burnt out and resulted in too much charge being sent to the battery when running burning this out also, about 2 weeks later I was riding my bike to work and it did something that I can only describe as hitting the rev limiter (although I was only doing 7000rpm at the time) it has done this since many times at different rpm ranging from 4500 - 11000rpm.

I had recently changed my can to the original standard one could this be a problem I did this for the MOT, I'm not sure if the bike has ever been tuned to the scorpion can I had on it when I brought the bike.

I had also not long filled up could this be a fuel problem? I have since filled up with Super Unleaded to see if this would resolve the problem but to no avail.

I have tried a little red x carb and jet cleaner but this is in the tank of fuel I have just filled up on so no results yet.

Oh and I also ran dry of fuel about 2 months ago when I didn't realize my tank was on reserve.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Last edited by CBR_Carl; 06-19-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Did the problem only arise since the new pipe? If so, change back to the other one to see if the problem goes away. I don't see a stock pipe creating problems, unless like you said, the carbs were jetted for a free'er flowing exhaust.

But, since you described it as it was hitting the rev limiter, I'd start by putting in a new set of plugs. When you hit the rev limiter, your ignition is cutting spark, which creates the boucing rev limiter. If your plugs are old, they could be intermittenly fouling and creating the issue.

On a compound issue, if you have weak sparkplugs, and are jetted too fat for your current pipe, it may make the problem more noticable. Which may be why the added pipe is causing issues, especially if your are indeed jetted to fat.

So, my suggestion is to first swap the pipe. If that doesn't do it, put in a new set of plugs.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the advice I will do this tomorrow morning.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 AM

Right I changed the can back to the sports one, I took the bike out for a decent ride 50+ miles, it had the problem twice on the ride, once when I first set out on my ride doing about 10mph in first went to give it some and it did it. Second time was when I was on my way home after doing about 35 miles, I think I was in 2nd took it to 10,000rpm and it did it again changed up and it was fine.

Any ideas?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Did you change your spark plugs like he said to? If not then make sure and do that... Have you cleaned your carbs? Sounds like the bike might be due for a tune-up man.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Talking

go and buy a gsx750f from the bloke across the road mate

Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Anyone got any tips on how to get to and change the plugs pictures would be a bonus.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Ok peeps, I have changed the plugs today took me all day but hey I've done it, took her out for a ride and the problem still persists.

Any ideas on what to do next I have seen that fuel filters are only £5GBP so might be cheapest to change that next as a process of elimination.

On a plus note the old plugs were shot, not fouled just not much of an electrode left after 16k of hard use without a change.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM

If you have access to a multi-meter, I think would next measure the resistance on the coil packs to make sure they are working correctly.

Also, a long shot, but next time it happens, pull over right away and open your gas cap. Listen close to hear if there is any woosh, or rush of air into the gas tank. If there is, it means you have a plugged vent line. it can cause fuel starvation in the upper rpms.

Also, drain your carbs if you haven't done so already. Many times, if you have water in the gas, it will sit in the carb right under the main jet and everyonce in a while, it will get pulled up and block the flow of fuel. Again, a long shot, but its easy to drain and see if there is water. Just drain them into a glass jar. Water will be sitting as small clear ***** on the bottom of the jar, or as a pig puddle if there is a lot water.

Since your changing the filter, you might as well drain your gas tank into a container and check it for water as well. This is also good since you can see if your fuel flow is constant like it should be.

Quick Reply: CBR 600 F2 problem