General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Careless driving ticket... suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Careless driving ticket... suggestions

I got nailed today for careless driving. I passed a van to get into the turning lane cause I was gonna make a turn at the next light. I accelerated to 45mph to pass the car and when it was safe I switched lanes. Cop said i went 60 and cut off a van. And apparently listening to an ipod is illegal too. And expired tags... I was on my way to get the bike inspected since it was the first nice day i got to take it out.... which sucks
So i have a clean record and have never got pulled over before or in an accident or anything like that. What do you suggest doing? Im not worried about the fine. Its the 3 points i cant take. I cant afford the insureance if it goes up.
So what is everyones opinion on fighting this. I never been to court before and need to know what to say to talk my way out of this. Cop was a real dick about everything looking over the bike asking dumb questions. And all I learned from this is im never stopping again and cops have nothing better to do but be ******** to bikers.
On the ticket he wrote 60mph( didnt say anything about being in a 35mph zone), cut off van( had plenty of room to make a safe land change), and earphones( i like listening to my ipod).

Should I get a lawyer or what should i do ive never been in this situation before.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Careless driving ticket... suggestions

Go to court, and respectfully explain to the judge what happened. Usually judges will drop it down to an illegal lane change or speeding ticket..........or maybe even drop the ticket altogether.

I had a wreckless driving (that's 7 points and 7 days in jail) back when I was in high school. The officer was infuriated when he pulled me over (and rightfully so, I was doing 96 in a 25 in my car back when I was in high school racing some other dude).......in other words I was a HUGE douche-bag of a retard teenager.

When it came to the court date, the officer said he would be able to drop it down to a speeding ticket for me and apologized for calling me a "f**king idiot" when he pulled me over. I told him that I deserved every bit of that and that he had my word that I would never do anything stupid like that again. (and I haven't)

So that would be my advise. Go to court, respectfully talk with the officer before hand and ask if he could take it down to a lesser ticket. If not, you could explain your story to the judge and see if he would drop it down. I haven't lost faith in the system yet, there are still good judges and officers out there. You just might have caught this one at a bad time.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: chpsk8er630

And all I learned from this is im never stopping again

I dont know jack about court, or what to tell ya sorry. I can tell ya whats quoted above isnt the answer, unless you want to become a statistic. Hope ya just wrote that in anger of the moment.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:42 AM

http://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-st...ggestions.html

Don't be a statistic, just stop and go to court...there still is justice out there and explaining it to the judge is the best way to go. Just showing up for court presentable speaks many things.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered Users

now i don't know how your state works, but i am a lawyer....that being said...if you have a clean record, and you explain CALMLY what you did and why you did it, judges are usually pretty sympathetic...they will usually ask the prosecuting atty to look at your record to see what you have and if you have nothing, they will knock it down a bit...

HOWEVER....DON'T ever say

ORIGINAL: chpsk8er630

And all I learned from this is im never stopping again
for one that looks bad on all of us...when you start running cops think everyone runs....who knows, you might have been treated the way you were because some douche bag before you ran from him and he was taking it out on you...

for two, you do that...at some point you WILL be caught, either by a cop, or by a barrier, sign, rock, something...and we know what that means....does it suck, yeah, but don't turn into one of those a-holes that runs and screws up things for the rest of us....

buck up, go in...be calm, i'm sure it will work itself out...

Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to ffingers,VERY good advice. +1

On a side note... Did anyone read what that one guy (member name was "shotta") on stuntlife said?! He said that you couldn't out run the police on a 600?! Paaalease![:@] In no way am I endorsing running from a LEO, but I have no doubt a 600cc sportbike could handily out run a police interceptor.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 PM

get a lawyer and pay him get it dropped down with a fine

Old 04-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Usually what i noticed happens is if you go in and like everyone else said, calmly explain yourself the judge most likely will leave the charge but knock the points off.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: matt_m427

Listen to ffingers,VERY good advice. +1

On a side note... Did anyone read what that one guy (member name was "shotta") on stuntlife said?! He said that you couldn't out run the police on a 600?! Paaalease![:@] In no way am I endorsing running from a LEO, but I have no doubt a 600cc sportbike could handily out run a police interceptor.
Police cruisers top out at 125mph, and there's no way they can match a 600'ss acceleration. So yeah.

As for riding with headphones, in my state it's only illegal if it's in both ears. I do one ear headphones, one ear ear plug.