General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb Fuel Pipe Connector O-Ring Crossreference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Fuel Pipe Connector O-Ring Crossreference?

An '87 F but figured that the fuel pipe o-rings may not be unique to just the original F.

OK, a 1987 and the fuel pipe o-rings are bad between all the carbs. A trip to the hardware store got us close but still too large to work. Had the same problem with some float bowl 0-rings in a Triumph once and found a Suzuki part number crossreference for $3ea vs the $11ea from Triumph! Afterall, a Mikuni carb is a Mikuni carb.

Does anyone have measurments for the o-rings, their metric size or even a cross reference parts number to look up. Anything from an industrial supply house?

At present, I am considering ''turning down' the larger hardware store o-rings with some sandpaper on an o-ring over a spinning drill bit shank. A real bentwrench approach but the next solution is non-hardening PernmaTex over the old ones.

BTW, same issue with new fuel vent T' o-rings but at least a poor seal will not leak raw fuel.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 AM

It looks like OEM parts are still available for your bike. I did a quick check where I buy my parts. Would suggest DiscountHondaParts.com, Honda, Polaris, KTM, Ski-Doo, Motorcycle, ATV,Snowmobile, Parts and Accessories.. May be cheeper in the long run then going from store to store trying to find one that works.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

This part number contains both the Fuel O rings and Air Vent O rings for one side. That's 4 O rings, so you'd need to get 2 of these items. Granted it's about $25, but what is your time worth, or a fuel leak and possible fire ? Check ebay, I see a set on there now for less than $10.

16040-MN4-003

Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks Dirt,

Just from the quick BikeBandit exploded views, it look like the vent and fuel pipes are the same size and come as a pair for $15.04 per pk. I know need at least three at $15 for the three fuel rail connections. That's still $45 from BB or I guess about $37 from DHP... for ****** o-rings.

If I do the vents while I'm in there, that's another 2 packs or another $25 from DHP. Total is then over $60... for ****** o-rings.

I know. If that is what it takes to do it right, that is what you have to do and just get over it. On Ms B's Triumph, I was lucky enough to find Suzuki o-rings for $3ea vs the OEM Truimphs for $11 & $15 EACH!

I was hoping my son's old, bullit proof Honda might cross to a Briggs & Stratton!

Thanks for the DHP site! I will bookmark it as I actually hate BB anyway.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
This part number contains both the Fuel O rings and Air Vent O rings for one side. That's 4 O rings, so you'd need to get 2 of these items. Granted it's about $25, but what is your time worth, or a fuel leak and possible fire ? Check ebay, I see a set on there now for less than $10.

16040-MN4-003
16040-MN4-03 (Ill ref #03) is a Joint set, Fuel and appears to be the connector tube and the two o-rings and agreed, 2 req.

I believe I need 16040-MM5-601 (Ill ref #05) a Gasket B Set which appears to be a pair of 0-rings. This same pair/set is used 3 times on the fuel rail and twice on the 2 vent T's. I can not reconcile why they call the req number 4?

Alos, I note that your 16040-MN4-003 (Joint Set, Fuel) PN has been superceded my 16040-MM5-601 but is the Gasket B Set?

I think I need 3 of the Gasket B Sets for the complete fuel rail (2 connectors and a fuel T) and 2 more Sets if I choose to do the vent T's.

Anyone have a comment or opinion. I'm kinda new to the Honda fiche and don't know it's accuracy.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I can't be entirely sure what you have since an 87 F could refer to a 600F or 1000F. The joint set with the part number I gave you show's 2 different sizes of O rings. Do a search on ebay for the number I posted and you'll see an image of the package from Honda. They are clearly 2 different sizes.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Opps. Yeah 600F. Forgot about the 1000F.

Saw the ebay item 16040-MN4-003 and that clearly shows 2 pairs in two different sizes. What scares me the most now is that PN that is identified in the DHP fiche as #03, "Joint Set, Fuel" which looks to be the tube and the 0-ring ends.

Now if I order 16040-MM5-601, Gasket Set B (which DHP says supercedes 16040-MN4-003) I guess I will get two different size pairs and at least one pair will fit my app. Ok I guess.

Is this discrepency just this part, this fiche or is this typical Honda?

BTW, I really appreciate your help and patience on this.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Default Final Verdict?

Did you end up ordering any kits from Honda? I need a "set" of these o-rings, at least for the fuel rail, and I'm still unclear on how many of what part numbers to order...

Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 AM

Actually my son's bike, in my garage, that I help him wrench on. Still down and needs to go as I need the garage space back of another bike I bought.

For the fuel ring o-rings, we went the hardware store route as it was close, immediate and dirt cheap. He tried a few different sizes but actually went with TWO of the smaller size o-rings. Once expanded, they thinned a bit where two will fit in the groove and the diameter is a really nice press fit. Neat.

Only reason that we still yet to finish this project is because he broke the old, brittle fuel T. He was furious as being right in sight of the finish line too. A single dad with a 17mo old daughter has kept him a bit preoccupied but we should have all the parts by the end of the week!

I will post back with the actual sizes used and our results.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the update. I never thought of using more than 1 ring in that groove.

I managed to get a friend who works in a garage to look for some for me and he brought a handful home yesterday. They don't look any bigger than the slightly leaky ones I had in there though. Maybe I'll try doubling them up....

Quick Reply: Carb Fuel Pipe Connector O-Ring Crossreference?