General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb cleaned sputtering/popping at constant RPM or reducing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb cleaned sputtering/popping at constant RPM or reducing

I just cleaned out the carbs completely jets n all. This helped wonders with the bike starting and the idle. Now it fires right up, no actual flames are involved fortunately. There was a bit more low end power but top end didn't change much and seemed to be lacking. Right after the cleaning I took it out 1/4 mile round the block nothin crazy just to see and it was running pretty good but it would sputter and pop when I slowed down to a consistant RPM or if engine breaking. Sounded like your typical dirt bike really.

Next on the list to replace on my new used CBR600F2 were the spark plugs which I just got in last night. The sputter/popping seemed worse when I drove it home but that coulda been because I hit the freeway the day before and at 6th gear 6-7 grand, you really can't hear anything except the wind anyways.

Replaced the plugs, adjusted the fuel mixture 1/2 turn out (only did 1 3/4 cuz we didn't have the manual when cleaning) so now I'm just a bit above the 49 state bike setting and let me tell you this bike is really brand new now minus the exteriors scars from the previous owner. I have power all the way through the RPMs, the bike increases and decreases RPMs easily and accordingly, throttle response is perfect, and I'm really enjoying this.

If you've read the other threads I've posted on the tech adventure, you may have a feel for the major improvements I've gotten from cleaning the air filter, correcting the stuck choke, and now cleaning the carbs/jets and replacing the plugs. These are all pretty basic maintenance jobs, but each one had it's fairly unique advantage. I've written these up as my experiences in case anyone has something similar, it goes a long way to inspect, and replace/adjust/fix accordingly, or just stick with the maintenance jobs. Even if you just did it, it doesn't hurt to go over your maintenance a few days later, to get a real idea as to what is changing, like checking your spark plugs right after replacing to see how your engine is running. If you haven't gotten it done, you better do it or you're just gonna bitch about your crappy running bike or not realizing your bike's true potential

TIP: Cleaning the idle jets was a pain in the ****. I tried fishing line suggested elsewhere however you probably need some good thin fishing line to do it. That $2.95 1000ft roll from Walmart won't work, too thick. I found that out the hard way but to fix that, I used 3 strands of nickel wire (4 was too much) from a 16 gauge wire and this was sturdy enough, and thin enough to get in there and break through the gunk with some help from some carb cleaner. Use the cap from the carb cleaner can to soak the jets for a bit first. I suggest the cap from the carb cleaner because things like those famous red plastic cups will disolve in about 5-10 minutes with carb cleaner 15-20 for gas. Looks cool if you enjoyed Nightmare on Elm Street, but it'll make a permanant stain where ever it sat, which is not cool.

Sorry I type so much but I like to be descriptive as possible. Documentation is like sex, when it's good, it's REALLY GOOD, and when it's bad, well at least it's something.